Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keyless Chucks

Default Keyless Chucks

I've got a couple keyless chucks and from time to time they self tighten just a little too tight to open by hand. A couple pairs of channel locks usually does the trick, but I was thinking about making a couple pin spanners to leave where the chucks are used. One is used on my bigger drill press, and the other is used on one of my smaller lathes.

Also, I've been considering swapping the 5/8 regular keyed chuck I use on my bigger lathe out for a decent quality keyless chuck, but I think If I do I'd need to have pin spanners for it even more. I'd either tighten the old chuck down hard on something that gets used regularly like my largest center drill or quit using it entirely.

Do you have pin spanners for your keyless chucks? Did you buy them or make them? I've made a pin spanner (single pin) before for removing and tightening the bearing retainer on a mill spindle. Its not particularly hard. Just take a little time to measure and plan.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

I've thought about for with the one that I use on the mill. At the moment, I use a strap wrench if it does tighten up too much to undo by hand.

When drilling a number of holes I have a tendency to stop the spindle faster by flipping it over to reverse for a fraction of a second. This works very well, but it's embarrassing when a small drill promptly falls out of the chuck as a result of the sudden deceleration!

Things like pin spanners and strap wrenches are somewhat clumsy to use. I would make a couple of pairs of form fitting pliers from wood, perhaps oak. Or metal ones with wood jaws. They would be fast to use and would not mar the chuck.

But, of course, I use keyed chucks. One reason I do not like the keyless ones is their length. I often find myself short of vertical space under the quill and the keyless chucks are always longer.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    Things like pin spanners and strap wrenches are somewhat clumsy to use. I would make a couple of pairs of form fitting pliers from wood, perhaps oak. Or metal ones with wood jaws. They would be fast to use and would not mar the chuck.
    "nutcracker" style "pliers" would be easy to make and enough strong even if made from wood (with metal hinge).

I use a peice of conduit to slide over Chuck then grip with pliers,some steel saddles welded to pliers with plastic mounted to saddles someway would be better.I don't remove Chuck to do this just better clarity for pic out of quill.

Tundra, isn't the need for the special tools defeating the purpose of them being keyless?

My typical drill chuck usage is the Jacobs 1/2" capacity and they all use a #3 key which makes life easy with a key on each machine and a spare or two in the tool box.

Is there room to mill a couple of flats? One of my keyless chucks has them and it came with a thin (maybe 3mm) spanner.

Any more than 2 hp, I avoid keyless chucks.
    They just self tighten too hard, and defeat the purpose of a hand operated chuck.
    And now we know what Morse tapers are for....mine never stick..
    Last edited by 754; 06-10-2019 at 10:30 AM.

Yeah, I don't get it either. Why have a keyless chuck if you need tools to open it? Are you guys hanging off the feed lever because of a dull bit?

I love the one I have but I don't use it for drilling over 1/2" holes. And my 135* bits are sharp!

I use a keyed chuck or annular cutter for sizes over 1/2".

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen View Post
    Yeah, I don't get it either. Why have a keyless chuck if you need tools to open it? Are you guys hanging off the feed lever because of a dull bit?
    Drill grabbing when getting trough is most common cause in my drill press.