Thread: Three stooges lifetime super duty hose reel

Default Three stooges lifetime super duty hose reel

About 30 years ago I found this old fashion Street cleaner cart this was often featured in old Stooges movies . I decided to make a combination flower display and hose reel. The top is redwood and aluminum. Everything that is part of the hose reel is stainless steel ,aluminum ,Teflon or Glass reinforced Nylon. The chain is stainless steel, The sprockets are aluminum, the real itself is stainless and it has aluminum sides. The Rotary gland for the water has 4 O rings ,Side by side. O rings are cheap ,if you are going to cut an O ring groove,it only takes a few minutes to cut more grooves . I bought a 250 foot roll of three eights Goodyear real rubber hose . I cut it in half and use 125 feet. I built this about 22 years ago and this is the second hose that I have loaded on it . Because The hose is on a reel , When you pull the hose out it is never kinked or twisted. This makes the hose last a very long time. Also the Goodyear red rubber hose lasts a long time . The red rubber hose does not come off on your hand like the stupid black rubber hose will. Edwin Dirnbeck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Edwin Dirnbeck; 06-09-2019 at 05:54 PM.

I'm in the process of restoring an old hose reel cart that's about 50 yrs old.
    The lady that threw it out said they couldn't get the leaks fixed.
    I had to bore out the gland on this also uses 4 o rings.
    The gland is alum with very sever pitting inside. I bored it and made an alum sleeve to press in. Pressed the sleeve in today with lock tight and am letting it set overnight.
    I bought a set of wheels and tires from HF and a couple poof cans of green paint.
    Hopefully all the leaks are fixed and I can blast and paint her tomorrow.

THANX RICH
    People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

I like that cart!

Great idea! Thanks for sharing!
    Andy

Nice cart. I've always wanted to make a heavy duty hose reel that looks like a giant Penn level wind reel .

Very nice! I like the chain drive for the reel winder, as well as the Stooges reference!

Funny you posted this today. Yesterday I built a hose reel on a wagon. The actual reel I built last year for a water hose for our riding arena but no one used the reel so I took it down yesterday and brought it to the shop to make a reel for my long 3phase extension cord. The base is from an old steam cleaner that I scraped. The reel it self is made from the bottom of my old office chair. The fair lead for the cord is off an old 12v winch. I even used used bolts for everything. I am on my way to the shop to take a picture. Mine is not so pretty as yours but it works good.
    Last edited by Black Forest; 06-10-2019 at 10:32 AM. Reason: add picture
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Nice job on the reel,cart looks great!

Even Moe would be proud of that thing, nice SS drum and that handle looks like it belongs there.

That is just as slick as snot ! ! ! ! I love the look and the practicality. And yeah, I bet that hose wasn't cheap. But over time it has likely lasted way longer than the same amount of cheap hoses you COULD have bought with the money.