Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large End Mill for Bridgeport

Hybrid View

Default Large End Mill for Bridgeport

I am slowly teaching myself to make parts. Almost every task, even simple ones brings up more questions. Last night I cut some hot rolled steel into the proper size blocks and then put it in the mill to even out the saw marks and true it up. A few setbacks popped up.

The pieces once cut were about 2.75" x 1.5" I wanted them to look nice to I used a 1-1/2" end mill so the cut would go across the whole part. I was making .010 to .015 cuts with the power feed turned up to setting 3. Rpm was at the low end of high range. I think like 500 rpm. I was doing fine for maybe five passes then all of a sudden it started not cutting and generating a lot of heat if I did push it to cut. I think somehow I dulled the end mill. So I got a second used end mill about the same size and it did fine for two passes then started doing the same. It seemed to not like the mill scale? Not a huge deal, the large end mills were used eBay purchases and I think I may have $25 in each and they cut good for a few other projects. Still $50 in used end mills in one night, is something I don't want to do often. I looked online and did not see an easy way to restore them. Cheap, huge end mills are probably on eBay for a reason at those prices. One of the end mills was "resharpened" already so maybe the end mill was not that good when it got to me. I am thinking about the inserted face cutting end mills so at least the edges can be replaced. So that leads me to the question.

I really like my HSS bits on the lathe now. With the advice here and basic grinder its so easy to get good cutting tools and a dull edge doesn't hurt at all savings wise. So I am wondering if going to carbide for the Bridgeport is a mistake? My Bridgeport is the 1969 model with a 3 ft table and a 1 hp motor. Its not a large mill by any standard. I did try fly cutting the blocks for practice. I did get a fairly nice finish, but its very, very slow and the cuts have to be light or the mill will start thumping when ever the tool contacts the part. It was a little faster to put them in the four jaw chuck and face them on the lathe.
    Last edited by donf; 06-10-2019 at 02:49 AM.

500rpm for 1.5" HSS end mill is on the fast side. Something like 200 rpm or even less would be a good starting point, on a sunny day you might get away with 400rpm (plenty of flood coolant, sharp HSS-CO tool, free machining or soft low carbon steel)

If you want to try inserts you should probably look for 2" SEKT or SEHT insert face mill.
    Last edited by MattiJ; 06-10-2019 at 03:31 AM.

If you are looking to take skim cuts off the tops you might want to look at a small face mill or shell mill. I have a 3" that I just recently got an arbor for and set up. It has sort of round inserts in it so it is strictly for face finishing, try to take to much of a cut and it fights back.

Andy

I must be a little dyslexic. I thought this was a "Large End Mill for Breakfast" discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnl View Post
    I must be a little dyslexic. I thought this was a "Large End Mill for Breakfast" discussion.
    Many years ago I lived in Sweden and was taking Swedish classes at the local night school. One of the drills each person in the room took turns describing their breakfast. The room cracked up when I said (in Swedish) "I had a bowl of girls for breakfast"

breakfast flakes == Flingor
    girls == Flickor

I think we all agree he want too fast and
    must mind his surface speed.
    If the chips are immediately blue or purple
    you are going to fast.
    Straw or just brown, you are close to good.
    I am surprised no one mentioned the color
    of the chips as a gage to what is going on.

-Doozer
    DZER

Sounds like a job for a shaper. Good excuse to look for one. As for the end mills, you MAY be able to save them. Try clamping the shank in a small vise on your bench with the cutting end up. Keeping the relief angle in mind you can stone the end cutting edges. If the corners aren't too far gone this might work. And it won't make them like new but it might make them useful again. I have "sharpened" a lot of end mills this way. Larger ones are easier to see what you are doing but I have done some 1/4 or 5/16" I think.

CS x 4 divided by diameter .. CD = cutting Speed. in this case it's 100
    Use this formula to select your speed, BEFORE you cut.....always..

You already know what happens if you don't !

Quote Originally Posted by wdtom44 View Post
    Sounds like a job for a shaper.
    Yep.

OK thank you for the advice. I looked this morning for feed and speed recommendations for the mill. http://www.hotteam67.org/Resources/M...nd%20Feeds.pdf I found this. When I did the math for HSS. I was way too fast. I will look for more replacement end mills and not be so hard on them next time. I have been using 10w oil for lube. I know its probably not the best. Would something like Sta-Lube SL2512 Soluble Oil, be suitable is a spray bottle for both the mill and lathe? The lathe is actually set up for coolant, but I never put the tank and pump back in as the recommendation seems to be no coolant needed for the speeds I work at.