Thread: Large End Mill for Bridgeport

Threaded View

Default Large End Mill for Bridgeport

I am slowly teaching myself to make parts. Almost every task, even simple ones brings up more questions. Last night I cut some hot rolled steel into the proper size blocks and then put it in the mill to even out the saw marks and true it up. A few setbacks popped up.

The pieces once cut were about 2.75" x 1.5" I wanted them to look nice to I used a 1-1/2" end mill so the cut would go across the whole part. I was making .010 to .015 cuts with the power feed turned up to setting 3. Rpm was at the low end of high range. I think like 500 rpm. I was doing fine for maybe five passes then all of a sudden it started not cutting and generating a lot of heat if I did push it to cut. I think somehow I dulled the end mill. So I got a second used end mill about the same size and it did fine for two passes then started doing the same. It seemed to not like the mill scale? Not a huge deal, the large end mills were used eBay purchases and I think I may have $25 in each and they cut good for a few other projects. Still $50 in used end mills in one night, is something I don't want to do often. I looked online and did not see an easy way to restore them. Cheap, huge end mills are probably on eBay for a reason at those prices. One of the end mills was "resharpened" already so maybe the end mill was not that good when it got to me. I am thinking about the inserted face cutting end mills so at least the edges can be replaced. So that leads me to the question.

I really like my HSS bits on the lathe now. With the advice here and basic grinder its so easy to get good cutting tools and a dull edge doesn't hurt at all savings wise. So I am wondering if going to carbide for the Bridgeport is a mistake? My Bridgeport is the 1969 model with a 3 ft table and a 1 hp motor. Its not a large mill by any standard. I did try fly cutting the blocks for practice. I did get a fairly nice finish, but its very, very slow and the cuts have to be light or the mill will start thumping when ever the tool contacts the part. It was a little faster to put them in the four jaw chuck and face them on the lathe.
    Last edited by donf; 06-10-2019 at 02:49 AM.