Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: swaging wire rope

Make a Flemish eye for the greatest strength. Cable typically has 6 outer bundles wrapped around an in er core. Unwrap 4 of the outer bundles and the put them back together as an eye then finish with a crimp sleeve over the open ends. Crane slings are made this way.

I needed to crimp some 1/8 SS cable. Bought a pair of cheap Harbor
    Freight bolt cutters. Made a duplicate set of the jaws only I put holes in the
    1/4" new jaws for 1/8, and 1/4 inch crimp material.
    Works great!
    olf20 / Bob

Aircraft cables use swaged fittings so the FAA has looked into how to make reliable swaged connections. Nicopress is common for this and if you need to make a modest number of swages then there is a $20 tool that uses bolts to compress the fitting; other tools are faster... and much more expensive. The FAA has standards for the compressed diameter of the fitting to ensure reliability. The Nicopress fittings used in aircraft are copper and may be plated depending on the type of cable used.
    More info: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/searc...rimper&x=0&y=0
    Follow the link to fittings for info on plating vs cable type.
    John

[QUOTE=GadgetBuilder;1242e link to fittings for info on plating vs cable type.
    John[/QUOTE]

Kinda funny. I was buying stuff from this damb bird farm before he was selling the the other idiots. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info