Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ot- semi w 40k lbs of bees

The answer is zero change. The truck will weigh the same. This was proved by one of the Mythbusters episodes years ago.

Your "down force" clue was the give-away and reminded me of the show.

The whole story gives me hives.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

do airplanes weigh anything?

Is that the same as jumping just before the falling elevator hits the ground?
    Andy

I don't think there is much room for them to fly inside of the hive. My mom had beehives for several years and I never got the impression that honey bees fly inside of the hives at all so I say it weighs the weight of the bees and the hives.

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Quote Originally Posted by bborr01 View Post
    I don't think there is much room for them to fly inside of the hive. My mom had beehives for several years and I never got the impression that honey bees fly inside of the hives at all so I say it weighs the weight of the bees and the hives.

Brian
    imagine a helicopter flying inside a warehouse...

Depends whether the bees are all flying up at the moment, or downwards- the gaining or losing of altitude will cause a slight change in the apparent weight of the truck.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

I really don't have a smart ass Bee comment cuz you jackasses used them all - and good ones at that,,,

but on the matter of the weight, it's a mixed bag and the answer lies somewhere in between, you catz are forgetting the laws of fluid dynamics and also thermal dynamics...

the truck weighs lighter whilst the bee's are in the air due to the fact that the air is being heated in the process of flight, it then condenses when the heat dissipates --- every action does indeed have an opposing reaction, but there's thermal compensations at work here also to consider,,, sometimes, as in immovable objects, the opposing reaction is not measured in movement but in heat values...

in the case of the bees, if not on their knee's they do not add the same weight value to a truck - the planet - or even their hive when in flight - the secret to the decreased weight differential is in the heated air right under the wings, that's where part of that power you think is landing on the trucks bed is going...

So there are two possibilities - one, the bees hover, and two the bees fly to the top of the container and keep trying to fly upwards once they are touching the top of the container (with enough room for air to circulate above them and down past their wings).

If you do have a lot of bees in your back garden, this is how to collect the honey.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...rs-in-pictures
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by johansen View Post
    do airplanes weigh anything?
    Define "weigh".