Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ot- semi w 40k lbs of bees

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Is that a Xenomorph lair?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I've long wondered why airplanes can't weigh themselves. They sit on suspensions, which compress as weight is added- you should be able to get a pretty good idea of how heavy a plane has become (or how light) by measuring and averaging readings from 'extensiometers' mounted on each strut. The crew would be able to see the result as the plane is being loaded, and then gross errors could be seen. Fuel load and passenger load would be monitored readily, and if something disagreed you could check it out before leaving the ground.

I've never heard a pilot or any crew member saying anything about a self-check of loading conditions- nobody comparing an on-board weight indicator with a check sheet- as far as I know they don't exist.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Quote Originally Posted by darryl View Post
    I've long wondered why airplanes can't weigh themselves. They sit on suspensions, which compress as weight is added- you should be able to get a pretty good idea of how heavy a plane has become (or how light) by measuring and averaging readings from 'extensiometers' mounted on each strut. The crew would be able to see the result as the plane is being loaded, and then gross errors could be seen. Fuel load and passenger load would be monitored readily, and if something disagreed you could check it out before leaving the ground.

I've never heard a pilot or any crew member saying anything about a self-check of loading conditions- nobody comparing an on-board weight indicator with a check sheet- as far as I know they don't exist.
    Probably because then the suspension components would have to be calibrated, so they could provide a meaningful value, and then periodically re-calibrated (as the suspension is used, it likely droops a little over time, or parts are replaced). Anything else would be a safety hazard, as if it were just a overall estimate, as a double-check value, air crews may wind up using it instead of actually weighing the plane, and possibly flying with an overloaded plane.