Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storage cases for single end mills and drill bits?

Default Storage cases for single end mills and drill bits?

I'm looking for a source for small plastic cases for single end mills and drill bits

Something like the hinged plastic cases that some end mills ship in, I just can't seem the cases for purchase

I haven't seen too many drill bits that come in containers or tubes other than carbide bits.
    Can't think of the website... Thomas.net ??? Alibaba ?? You might be able to find a supplier there, or call some of the end mill manufacturing companies and see if you can get a lead there.

JL...

Try a sporting goods store that sells ammunition reloading supplies. I use rifle ammunition boxes to store some of my endmills. It keeps them separated and organized. There are a few different styles available.

I put mine in PVC tubing I cut the tubing to length on my mitre saw smack one end with a soft hammer and it will not come off. Push the other end on by hand and it will come off when you twist it a little also mark it so you know which end to twist. The tubing is cheap enough the end caps are around .30 cents at Lowes or Home Depot.

frankie

I also use PVC. But I see no reason for the hammer bit. I glue an end cap on one end and the other is a friction fit. You can write the size and other information on the end caps - just find ones that are flat, not with other stuff already cast into it. Or sand them flat with the belt sander. The end cap with the writing on it is the one that comes off.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowe.Buuck View Post
    Try a sporting goods store that sells ammunition reloading supplies. I use rifle ammunition boxes to store some of my endmills. It keeps them separated and organized. There are a few different styles available.

Now why didn't I ever think of that? Those would work great without the covers as drawer organizers to keep small end mills, tool bits, and such from rolling all around the toolbox drawer. The 50 round ones made for handgun ammo would be good for some of the shorter tools as well. Thanks, great idea!

They are also good to store AA and AAA batteries.

McMaster offers storage tubes for individual mills and drills. They run from about $1.00 to $3.00 each.

https://www.mcmaster.com/storage-tubes

As mentioned very few manufacturers use tubes for drills except for the larger sizes. Anything under 3/4" generally come in an envelope.

Did anyone read post #1?

I've been getting all my recent spiral flute taps in the hinged cases. Also the carbide spotting drills. But there's no markings on the cases that I recall other than make and size labels. I'll have a closer look and see. IIRC, they are the YG-1 F4 series taps from Amazon. Nice sharp taps, by the way. I've had no problems power tapping with them.

Not sure where you keep them, but I drill holes in thick white plastic to hold my big ones.
    If you are near a neon shop try to get some electrode boxes the have 1/2 or 5/8 squares about 50 plus per box, they are cardboard but hold up for years.
    Boxes hold a hundred, they are around 8 inches square.
    Last edited by 754; 06-13-2019 at 12:31 PM.