Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: toolcutter and lathe question.

In the box, on the left, I see the idler shaft. A shaft with bearrings, V belt pulley and flat belt cone pulley. The V belt pulley on it is smaller than I would have expected, the lathe will run farily fast with this size pulley. A frame to mount the motor and shaft on is needed. This swings to tighten and loosen the flat belt drive to the lathe. If this frame is missing it could be made. A strut goes from it to the lathe to adjust the tension of the flat belt. Probably by looking around the internet you could find a picture or two of a SB lathe with all this in place. What is in the grey box that looks like it says L A..... on it? Maybe the change gears? If you end up with this lathe it looks like you have a lifetime supply of tool bits in the box in the upper right. The back gears are on a shaft behind the cone pulley on the headstock of the lathe. In the picture of the lathe they would be at the top and between the two headstock bearings, right next to the cardboard box. The handle on the top left engages and disengages them. You also need to disconnect the headstock cone pulley from the spindle, usually a pin on the side of the gear next to the right headstock brearing, for the back gears to function. They give you a lot of more spindle speed reduction. A sort of "low range" of speeds. With the exception of the gears, which MAY be in the grey box, it looks like most of what you need to get this lathe running is there. If the feed and screw cutting chart is still on the lathe it will list the various gears needed to get those feed rates and screw threads. Sometimes two of a certain size gear are needed. Hope this has helped.

Looks like backgear lever is there in the pic, presumably BG is there also.

Auctions with stuff in several parts/boxes....... tricky folks move the accessories box to a different lot, which they want to buy, then offer to sell that accessory box load to you. Not so bad iin small auctions when the individual items are being sold and the auctioneers know the lots, but still, some essential part may be picked out and put elsewhere... same result... an offer to sell it to you for a goodly price.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    And the tool cutter . Could this be useful or is it very limited to just d bits. Could it do 60 degree hss lathe bits or acme tools for example
    The tool grinder is a quality copy of a Deckel. Nice machine. It'd be nice if it has an assortment of collets, including square collets. Yes, it will do most any kind of lathe tool grinding provided you have the correct collet to hold the tool.

Here is a pic of the lathe.
    The pic is a bit blurry and the wrong angle, but I'd bet money it is a model 405. The key identifiers are the tailstock casting, short cross slide, and the carriage lock on the right rear wing of the carriage.

Buyer beware! Unless modified, these have an uncommon 1-3/8"-10 spindle thread and 20DP x 5/8" bore change gears.

See specs here:
    http://www.lathes.co.uk/southbendmodelfive9inch/

Good points Galaxie, it's good someone who knows more about the specific lathe has commented on it.

I should note, if it has all the change gears and you're comfortable turning and threading your own chuck back plates, there's nothing wrong with these lathes. I have a well-worn model 405 myself.

Eugene, your shop is too full for more tools, ship the grinder up to Joburg. I will take it off your hands to create some space.

Werner

Quote Originally Posted by wern View Post
    Eugene, your shop is too full for more tools, ship the grinder up to Joburg. I will take it off your hands to create some space.

Werner
    Werner remember I lost out on the free chavelier surface grinder because I took too long to pick it up from my BIL.I have three lathes so this is for my friend. The grinder is in a lot seperate from the pantagragh die sinking machine. The pantagraph looks brand new but has been bastardized to copy those curios you buy from the zimbabwians on the side of the road. You feel sorry for them because you think they carved it over several months and you buy it for a hundred Rand. Meanwhile they are not handmade.
    Last edited by plunger; 06-14-2019 at 03:33 PM.

This is the pantagraph.I wonder what the white sculpture is made of .?You can see the wooden zulu warrior sculptures in the cage.

And the tool cutter . Could this be useful or is it very limited to just d bits. Could it do 60 degree hss lathe bits or acme tools for example
    have a similar grinder. Chinese import. I find it very useful for grinding drills using a 4 facet grind. I also used it to grind the side and end relief on Chinese boring tools.
    I