Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Vertical hit and miss engine

I have worn single lens glasses from 40 to 50 years old. Then I had to go with bifocals from 50 to 60 years old. Then at 65 I had to go to trifocals with my "walking around" glasses, and get a second set of bifocals for computer and close up work. Today I feel a little bit like Mr. Magoo. However, if this surgery does all it is supposed to I plan on being called "Hawk-eye"!!!
    Brian Rupnow

Good morning Brian. Glad everything went well with the surgery. I have known a few people that have had that done including my wife. They all comment on how much brighter and clearer things look afterwards. Apparently I am working on growing a cataract but it is not ripe enough yet to do anything.
    Larry

So--I'm 72 hours into this thing since the surgery. I've had no pain, and vision has cleared in that eye, a bit every day. It still isn't what I had hoped for, and a follow up appointment with the surgeon today left questions. The "super duper" ocular device which was surgically implanted in my left eye may not have been able to totally fix the astigmatism in that eye. Or--it may get better as it heals more. Or--due to the extent of the astigmatism, I may have to go in for laser surgery to smooth off the surface of the cornea. This left me disappointed, and prompted a call to the laser surgery people. "Oh yes, we can fix that in one easy step!!"--Sounds familiar. $2500 of my fine Canadian money for that quick little "step" with the laser people.--And--they won't do it until at least four months after the cataract surgery. Damn--I wasn't expecting this. Big hope is that with more time for the eye to heal it will clear up better without having anything else done to it.
    Brian Rupnow

I can't see well---But I can see well enough. One eye is fixed. This coming Monday other eye will be "fixed". Then I get to wait for a month to get proper glasses. I was so bored that I decided to do a little machining, and this is the result. I have machined both parts of a two part rocker arm. Eventually, they will get silver soldered together to make a single rocker arm. This is a case of "form follows function". Originally that 1/2" diameter cam follower was 3/8" diameter, but I had interference issues between the "rise" on the cam and the underside of the rocker arm. All is well now, so I will go back and change my drawings "to suit".
    Brian Rupnow

Today is the last day for me to play in my machine shop. I go in for my second eye surgery tomorrow, so won't be able to do much for the next week or so, except fumble around like Mr. Magoo. Something I did do this past week was to make the two part rocker arm and assemble it, and get the complete gear train and face cam and rocker arm finished. This has worked out very well, and I am pleased with it. The face cam is one which I used previously on a horizontal hit and miss engine, so I know it works. Enjoy the video.---Brian
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbEzsoLka94
    Brian Rupnow

The bevel gears and face cam seem to work very well. That's a cool setup that I don't recall seeing anywhere else.

Toolguy--My inspiration for this engine was Bob Shores "Silver Angel". There are many videos of it on Youtube. Bob's engine was a 3/4" bore and stroke. My engine is 1" bore and 1" stroke. All of the major components of my engine look like the general shape of Bob's engine, but it is not a "copy". I like it because it is a departure from any of the other engines I have built.--Brian
    Brian Rupnow

OK, thanks Brian. I don't have time to do model engines myself, although I find them interesting. So I take the shortcut and follow your builds to see what works, and all the different designs. Thanks for sharing all of your journeys with the rest of us. I know many others appreciate it as well. All the Best.

Whenever I have two pieces that must be silver soldered together and must also hold a very close angular relationship, it calls for either a welding jig to hold the two pieces together in the correct relationship, or to scribe a line on the two parts while "in place" and then match up the center holes and scribe marks in a holding vice. I chose the second of these two options, which is the less accurate method. I got lucky. With everything reassembled as in the previous video when the cam follower is not "up" on the cam, I have room to slip a 0.004" feeler gauge between the end of the valve stem and the round part of the rocker arm which sets directly above it. There must always be an air gap there when the cam follower is not "up" on the cam, because if there isn't the exhaust valve will never seal tightly to hold compression.

Brian Rupnow

I had my second eye surgery for cataracts this morning, and everything went amazingly well. Great news about my left eye, the one I had done two weeks ago. It has improved a lot over the past two weeks and will not require any further surgery. Now I get to wait 4 weeks until I go see my usual optometrist to see what glasses I will need. Today is the first time I've been able to read my email without any glasses on for many, many, years. Why, just looking out my back door I can see Giants turning cart-wheels, statues wearing high-heels----
    Last edited by brian Rupnow; 07-29-2019 at 04:05 PM.
    Brian Rupnow