Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Vertical hit and miss engine

Quote Originally Posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    Like I said--Something a little different. The starter hub bolts to the flywheel. The starter spud fits into my 3/8" variable speed drill.
    Is there any utility in relieving the non-driven side of this? I am thinking it would prevent you accidently trying to start the engine in reverse if the drill happens to be going in the wrong direction. Also, if it ever gets stuck when the motor fires, it will save embarrassment.

djc--It works fine "as is". I always check which way my drill is turning before I use it to start an engine. It will never get stuck.--I machined it.---Brian
    Brian Rupnow

So, here it is guys.--First run. I tried to get it to start for about half an hour. It would fire and run if I put a few drops of gasoline down the sparkplug hole, but then die off once those few drops were burned. This lead me to believe that the spring on the atmospheric intake valve was too strong. I removed the spring and cut two coils off, then reinstalled it. The engine started right up, as you see in the video. My next trick will be to get the engine running properly with the hit and miss lever in place.---Brian
    .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd51f2bFJuA
    Brian Rupnow

Runs nice ! Seems to turn a lot more rpms than your previous engines, what say you?

Keep in mind Sparky--that carb is for a hit and miss engine. There is no throttle on it. It will run wide open to the point of destruction if you let it. It's running at that speed just because that's where the throttle happened to be set when I started it. The only way you can slow them down is to open the needle valve to a point where the fuel is too rich. It really was a first run, with all settings by "Guess or by God".
    Brian Rupnow

djc--It works fine "as is". I always check which way my drill is turning before I use it to start an engine. It will never get stuck.--I machined it.---Brian
    May I respectfully suggest that you glance at the comments made by Richard Feynman in the Rogers Commission report on the Space Shuttle

https://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle...Appendix-F.txt

and consider your concept of "always" and "never" in the light of this.

This is the first engine I have successfully built with metal rings. The compression is phenomenal, and the ability of the engine to coast is much improved over a similar engine using Viton rings.
    Brian Rupnow

Seems that this engine ran without the need of as much "tweaking" as previous engines. It also did not need the "tweaking" to get it to run very well. I wonder how much of this can be attributed to the use of real piston rings instead of viton O rings? Friction would be less with the metal rings I would think. Some of the previous engines would fire and run but not quite make the threshold of self sustained running with the starter removed without a lot of tweaking.

Just my observations..... I wonder if the metal rings will be the new standard for future builds considering the success here ????

This is the first engine I have successfully built with metal rings. The compression is phenomenal, and the ability of the engine to coast is much improved over a similar engine using Viton rings.
    LOL Apparently we were both posting at the same time, and thinking along the same lines !

I think an interesting test would be to go back to the face cam engine that had trouble with hit n miss cycle, put it back to original configuration, except put rings in it. and test both viton and metal rings, same piston would be a good test.
    interesting