Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Vertical hit and miss engine

Aostling and others wanted to see how this engine reacted under load/no load conditions. I don't have any machinery designed to have a varying load, but I did want to show him and others how a varying load affects these model hit and miss engines. So--Turn up your speakers, click the video link, and set back and listen.---Brian
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRtmoje5uJA
    Brian Rupnow

I just listened to my video, and noticed that I spoke in error. The engine under load hits every other stroke, same as any four cycle engine, not on every stroke.
    Brian Rupnow

After attending my 60th high school reunion in Seattle yesterday, I am now in Anacortes. I just played the video, a fitting end to a nice day. Thanks, Brian!
    Allan Ostling

That little engine sounds just like a Cat RD6 dozer lugging about when under load.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I am now in that "post building slump" that always follows a successful build. The engine worked great, started and ran almost the first time I tried it, and ran well. I did manage a video showing the engine running under load conditions while lifting a weight. Rather crude, but it did the job. I have had numerous ideas for making a machine to drive that has a variable load, but that is not as easy as you would think. It would have to cycle in and out of the "load" side automatically, but can not transfer any load back into the engine when being ran in the "no load" situation. --In other news, I got stung by a damned bee yesterday. I was mowing my lawn with my garden tractor, when I felt a small "jab" in my right hand. I looked down at my hand and seen a big yellow and black bee, and immediately gave my hand a shake to knock it off. The bee drilled me, and damn, did it ever hurt. I haven't been stung by a bee since before my dad died, so it had to be over thirty years ago. I'm not allergic to bee stings so finished cutting the grass and came in the house and held an ice cube against the sting for an hour until it finally quit hurting.
    Brian Rupnow

Hi Brian, a disk and wheel friction drive could vary speed and hence the load and if you had a hole in the centre of the disk that would give you a 'no load' position. A fan could be the load.

A hysteresis disk could be another way to go.
    John

Brian, why not go back to your roots and build a buzz saw, complete with rocker table? THAT would be a variable load!
    Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Too late Duffy--I already have a model buzz saw from a couple of years ago. I did think of using that, but was hoping to come up with something a bit more finger friendly. John--That has given me food for thought. These little engines are so powerful that a fan doesn't load them enough to make a difference in the hit and miss cycles.--Brian
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...highlight=buzz
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKiX...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by brian Rupnow; 08-22-2019 at 03:29 PM.
    Brian Rupnow

An inline 3 cylinder IC engine?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

What about an electric generator? would be pretty easy to play around with varying loads (lights?) via relays and such, or even a geared down slow turning cam wheel triggering switches (for visual mechanical effect)