Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vertical hit and miss engine

First side-plate is machined and all is well. The tape is around the chuck to keep some spacers between the chuck jaw and the part from flying out and conking me in the head. Will do the second side plate tomorrow.

Brian Rupnow

Well sir!!--that went amazingly well. Next step will be to drill and tap 16 holes and get everything bolted together. Once that detail is looked after I will begin profiling all 3 components together.
    Brian Rupnow

Everything has been drilled, counterbored, and tapped. I had the part set up and centered in the milling machine to do the drilling. Before tearing down my set-up, I put a sharp pointed rod in the mill chuck and used the DRO to measure off the distance to four of the "sides" in the X and Y axis, then kept a little down-pressure on the pointed end while I cranked the mill table in X and Y to mark the lines. Then I printed off a 1:1 scale drawing of one of the sides, glued it to cardboard, and lined the cardboard up with the existing marked lines to allow me to mark the other four lines. I see a world of band-sawing in my future!!!
    Brian Rupnow

And after a world of band sawing and milling the outer profile is finished. I am kind of amazed at how small this main body actually is.
    Brian Rupnow

At the very last moment, I decided to put an o-ring groove in the top of the main body. This engine will have a "wet" crankcase, and it's either go with an o-ring or put a gasket between the main body and the cylinder to prevent oil leaks.
    Brian Rupnow

So there we have it. the main crankcase and side-plates are finished. I was going to make the cast iron cylinder next, but there is a caveat. There has to be a cut on one side of the fins to allow clearance for the governor balls, and since I don't have the gears yet, I can't establish that dimension until the gears arive hear and can model them. Not to fear though. There are plenty of other small parts to make while I wait for the gears to show up.
    Brian Rupnow

And now you know how I spent the rest of my day. Making little pieces.
    Brian Rupnow

It was a lovely sunny day here today---and I couldn't think of a single damned thing to do outside. Good wife didn't want to do anything. So---After my fat mans walk, I spent the day building a gas tank. It turned out okay, other than the fact that the end of the 7/16" post ended up undersize by about .015". I knurled it to bring it up to a larger diameter. It is supposed to be a "snug" fit into the bracket bolted to the side of the engine. The post and the filler neck are silver soldered to the main tank body. The tank body is counterbored on both ends, and a piece of 1/2" thick plate is J.B. Welded into each end. I will let it set up for 24 hours, then spend a bit of time polishing out any imperfections and drill/tap one end for a fitting.
    Brian Rupnow

I was just about ready to change out my lathe chuck jaws to start machining the flywheel. I wondered "What else do I have to machine with these current jaws?"--An ignition cam!!!--So, a cam was made this morning and the cam and points were installed on the engine to make sure everything fit properly.---It did. Good wife just showed up and asked for help cleaning some rooms. Flywheel will be started later.
    Brian Rupnow

Nice set up on the points Brian!I wish the ones on my old Chrsyler Industrial Flathead on big Auger was that easy to get at lol!
    Last edited by Tundra Twin Track; 06-23-2019 at 02:51 PM.