Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Vertical hit and miss engine

Yesterday evening I filled the crank-case with oil, made certain that the crankshaft would rotate a full 360 degrees, then took the engine out to my run-in bench. With a 2.5" pulley on my electric motor and a 6" pulley on the engine shaft, I connected the two with a v-belt and let things "run in" for 20 minutes. The engine is turning at about 800 rpm. Some people agree with this "run in" period, some disagree. I always run my engines in for a period of time to free everything up before trying to start the engine. This run in time MAY help the rings to seat. It will certainly take the high spots down.
    Brian Rupnow

After a successful half hour run in, the engine was completely torn down this morning so I can mount the counterweights to the crankshaft. If you wanted a look inside, here it is.
    Brian Rupnow

Considering you have a oil filled crankcase, why not pop the seals off those bearings ? Oil lube would be a lot less friction.

I might.
    Brian Rupnow

Took one of my grandkids and went to the steampunk fair in Coldwater today. A great day, ice cream was eaten, soft drinks were drank. Very few steam engines (I seen one) but lots of weird and wonderful creations and many people both young and old dressed in what they considered "period costumes" . Steampunk is far more about fantasy that any reality that ever existed, but I love it. Bren's day was made when I bought him a fancy hat. I tried to buy one for myself in black, but the guy didn't have anything big enough to fit my fat old head, so I custom ordered one "to be built". I gave the guy $10 and a business card. I may never hear from him again, but probably will. It was a great, fun day.
    Brian Rupnow

Okay, I admit it. I had to do a little work today. I made these brass crankshaft counterweights this morning before I picked Bren up to go to the fair.
    Brian Rupnow

The engine has been completely reassembled, with gaskets between the side-plates and the main body, between the cylinder and the main body, and a head gasket. All clearances have been checked. I will let the engine "run in" with all its components in place for about 20 minutes before setting the valve and ignition timing. I have to buy a set of points and a condenser tomorrow, and after they are installed, we should be ready to go.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGzUZFFGO_M
    Brian Rupnow

Thank you for the video! That looks great and ready for the moment of truth. Hope that your vision is improving every day.

Thanks John. Vision is doing very well. I've worn glasses for so long that every time I go to read or look at the computer I'm grabbing for glasses, then realizing that I don't need them. I have great hopes of starting the engine this week. With the cylinder head removed, the piston will blow your hand off the top of the cylinder when you turn the engine over. I never really know about the valves until I'm trying to start the engine.---Brian
    Brian Rupnow

congrats there Brian,
    you are out running the best of us with, surgeries, bad eyes, disturbances, et. al.
    We can't keep up !!

Way to go !!!