Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Vertical hit and miss engine

And a short and sweet video of the new gears meshing---
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWWJkpy-dN0
    Last edited by brian Rupnow; Today at 08:30 AM.
    Brian Rupnow

I modelled the new gears and adjusted everything in the governor train to match them, and I like the new proportions much better. The new gears have a bore of 6 mm, which is slightly less than 1/4". Since I don't have any metric shafting, I will either use 1/4" and turn the ends of the crankshaft and cam shaft down to 6 mm or else run a 1/4" reamer thru the gears. I have gotten lucky and don't have to machine away any of the fins on the cylinder, as the governor balls will clear them with my new set-up. The crankshaft will be 3/8" diameter and the camshaft will be 1/4". I will have to sleeve the bore on the face cam, as it is currently bored for a 3/8" shaft.
    Brian Rupnow

Brian- If I were you, before you go too far, I would check the fit of those rings in your cylinder.
    Obviously for end gap, but also for circularity.
    Assuming your cylinder is reasonable, and via your boring process, I would not think otherwise, check that they actually fit well.

There is a fellow on the Home Model Engine Machinist forum that goes quite in depth about piston rings, making, fitting and checking.
    See here:

https://www.homemodelenginemachinist....27584/page-14

There is a LOT that can be learned by reading through his entire build on this engine.

It could save you some frustration trying to get compression using "stock" rings.

Sid

Thanks Sid--Before I do anything with the rings, I want to talk to the guy selling them and see if he has any further recommendations concerning machining or finishing. I have been studying all there is to know about rings for the last ten years. I will follow your link and read it as well.---Brian
    Brian Rupnow

Today seen the first bit of jewelry finished and installed. This is the topmost governor bracket. There will be many more small pieces like this one, but I've made a start.
    Brian Rupnow

Today I made the lower camshaft bracket along with it's oilite bronze bushing. The gears mesh very nicely. For all of you who have made engines or machinery with gears which must mesh correctly, you will know that what sounds very simple has much more to it!!! The shaft which was used for alignment may very well become the cam shaft. My original plan for the top bracket was to have two pieces of brass silver soldered together. One to support the cam shaft and the other to be a pivot for the rocker arm. I'm thinking I may change that to two pieces bolted together. If I can do that, I can make the pivot part from aluminum.
    Brian Rupnow

Today I made the very TINY rocker arm pivot. (The part with the drill stuck thru it.). It is my hope that I can bolt the rocker arm pivot to the brass bracket it is setting on top of. But, there is a catch---when the rocker arm is installed, one end of it has to be perfectly centered over the exhaust valve, and the other end must hold the contact roller perfectly in line with the center of the track on the face cam. Being old and filled with wisdom, I know damned well that if I just arbitrarily bolt the rocker pivot to the top cam shaft bracket, that's never going to happen. So, I won't do any bolting until I have built the rocker arm and installed it and the pivot shaft in place and then, with everything lined up "dead nuts", I will proceed to clamp things together and drill/tap the holes for the bolts which hold the rocker pivot in place. Tomorrow I'm off to the hospital for a cataract operation, so I'm not sure when I will post again.---Brian

Last edited by brian Rupnow; 07-14-2019 at 08:04 PM.
    Brian Rupnow

My wife said the cataract surgery made a huge difference in her life. I'm probably going to do it in the fall.

As to the rocker contact with the valve, it's common practice in motorcycle engines to have the contact slightly off-center, which causes the valve to rotate slightly in operation.

"That's not a bug, that's a feature!"

-js
    There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

I hope the surgery goes well.

The surgery went well this morning. I had a bigger pain in my arse from setting around waiting for three hours at the hospital than I had from the operation that took about 15 minutes. Everything is blurry in that eye right now, and I feel like I had something the size of a pea in my eye, but they tell me that is normal for the first 48 hours after surgery. After that I should be able to see like Steve Austin. I have an amazing list of things I can't do for the next two weeks, and then I get the other eye done, so it looks like I will be out of commission until mid August.
    Brian Rupnow