Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel Wrist Pins For Cylindrical Squars

Default Diesel Wrist Pins For Cylindrical Squars

I would like to have a small cylindrical square. I don't want to spend a fortune on a used beat up one and I don't need one that is 12" tall either.
    The perfect size for my needs would be about 3" to 4" in length x what ever the OD would be. 1 1/2" or so.
    I know that they hold pretty close tolerances on them, in tenths or better, consistent through out the length and their polished, usually.
    I don't want one with an oil hole, or holes drilled through it. I've seen them both with or with out.
    Don't really care how square the end is as that's part of the project, squaring an end it up.

I've looked through several parts suppliers and none of them list these by size. Only engine make model etc. Understandable.
    So...... Any one have any idea where I might find a pin in the approx. size I'm looking for?

JL....................

Junk pile at a heavy duty diesel shop.

Quote Originally Posted by paul463 View Post
    Junk pile at a heavy duty diesel shop.
    Don't want anything that's worn or scored.
    JL...

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    Don't want anything that's worn or scored.
    JL...
    Look around. Wrist pins really don't see much wear and there are lots of them in each engine, you should be able to find one that is near perfect.

Like Paul said, truck shop or equipment repair shop, ag equipment, etc.

Pistons are expendables on a rebuild and they come with new pins even though the old ones have no measurable wear.
    As an aside I have a bunch here from a 4 cyl. 528 Cat skidder and some from N14 Cummins engines. I forget the dimensions at the moment but even the small Cat ones are probably a little larger than what you're looking for. The N14 Cummins pins are about 5+ inches long and have a diameter of 2.5 inches.

Bring a box of donuts and you'll probably go home with a box full of different size pins.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

seriously, donuts work

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Like Paul said, truck shop or equipment repair shop, ag equipment, etc.

Pistons are expendables on a rebuild and they come with new pins even though the old ones have no measurable wear.
    As an aside I have a bunch here from a 4 cyl. 528 Cat skidder and some from N14 Cummins engines. I forget the dimensions at the moment but even the small Cat ones are probably a little larger than what you're looking for. The N14 Cummins pins are about 5+ inches long and have a diameter of 2.5 inches.

Bring a box of donuts and you'll probably go home with a box full of different size pins.
    That would be perfect. I'de buy a new one. Hopefully that model doesn't have oil holes drilled through it.

I found a picture of one, no oil holes, good wall thickness and the price is less than $50.

Now that I know what to look for I may be able to hunt one down locally. Just didn't know what make or model to look for. It's basically a big dowel pin with nicer finished ends.

TNX......

JL.............
    Last edited by JoeLee; 06-18-2019 at 08:29 AM.

If there is a good parts guy at a supplier near you and you get him at a time when he isn't too busy he would probably know what you are looking for off the top of his head.

Joe any of the 12-16 liter truck engines will have similar dimensions of the N14 (855 cu. in.) Cummins pin I mentioned. Caterpillar 3406 would also be popular as would Detriot Diesel 60 series pins. The newer DD13-16 series and Cummins ISX 15 are also very popular and would be of the same size range. Not sure if imperial dimensions are required or if metric is suitable, probably not an issue but the older Cummins and Cat designs are imperial.

Look around though as you should be able to get them for a lot less than 50 bucks a pop new.
    Looking at some of the pins I have this morning and I cans that it has been used but I cannot measure or feel any wear.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Quote Originally Posted by wdtom44 View Post
    If there is a good parts guy at a supplier near you and you get him at a time when he isn't too busy he would probably know what you are looking for off the top of his head.
    I found a couple guys local here that do diesel repairs. They have lots of used ones. I'm going to go have a look and see what kind of shape their in.
    As long as they aren't outside rusting away or heavily scored up.

JL...............