Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: It's All Gonna Be Better When We .........

Default OT: It's All Gonna Be Better When We .........

I have had a fun day and week.

..... go digital. Yes, DIGITAL is going to be better! Better for WHO? One call for help was my wife with a locked up computer. She was watching a video and the audio was still going, but the video froze and the computer would not respond to anything. That one was the easiest of the day. "The DVD is not working, could it be the batteries in the remote? Can you get then out of here, I can't." Well, I did remove the batteries, but still no DVD control. So I cycled the power on the entertainment center. That brought the DVD back, but not the TV or cable tuner. I fiddled with the remotes and finally got the TV on and the cable box doing one of it's five minute re-boots. I'm sure that digital is going to be better.

I swear, I spent half my day, so far, chasing digital problems.

I guess I am a dinosaur. I can remember when you walked across the living room and hit the power switch. And after a minute or so for the tubes to warm up, about the time you are comfortably settled in your chair, bingo you had picture and sound. Only one channel, but picture and sound was there. And it did not freeze.

THEN they started improving things. Today I am watching, or just listening to TV and everything freezes. By the time I get to the controls or find the remotes, it starts up again. So I go back to what I was doing. And, BINGO, it freezes again. If I call the cable company they have me go through a routine of turning everything off and back on again. But WHY doesn't the equipment/software do that? Why is it MY JOB to fix the cable every time it freezes. I paid nothing for the 60s, over the air TV and it was at least 99.99% reliable. Now I pay over $200 a month and it freezes or just goes out several times every week. And they expect ME to take the necessary actions to fix it.

It's all gonna be better when we go d............

I/we have a WiFi system for the house with several computers and TVs using it. Things constantly either lock up with messages of no service or just freeze. Again, the cable company has ME recycle the power on their modem and my WiFi. This happens many times a week, over once a day. When are THEY going to fix it?

It's all gonna be better when we go d............

The only digital service that I have that seems to work well is telephone. I guess they haven't figured out how to screw that up ..... yet.

Rant mode Off.

Seriously, what's your experience with the digital services you have? TV? Internet?

And why, just WHY is digital so great?
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

I ditched the TV, have fiber optic internet that's one of the lower tier/speeds of service at 100 Mbps/100 Mbps. When I download a game on my Steam account, it is pegged right at 100 Mbps, so when I say the internet feels like my LAN, I am not kidding. The router they gave me, once every few months I have to unplug it and power it back up. I know this because the Nest thermostat loses connection. There's about 30 different things in my house on the wifi including smart swtiches, bulbs, etc, but only the Nest has an issue once every few months.
    Other than that, everything has been rock solid, no issues with digital. I prefer digital over analog any day of the week if implemented properly.

I can't say my experience is at all the same.

I have a bunch of assorted computers and various devices (Ipod touch, non-activated phones and other devices used only for music streaming and the like) though only one very rarely used TV on my wired and wireless network in my house. I rarely have to reboot my router, modem or access point, maybe once every few months if that. Use my internet for streaming videos, wife and kids watch movies and such, I use it almost constantly for work related video meeting and whatnot. It's been largely like that for a very long time. I use the much-hated Comcast for my service and all I can say is that for the most part it works and is very fast and reliable around here. Somewhat ironically, I still keep a copper wire landline, just because. No idea how much longer I'll get to keep that.

I also used to have stuff that I would throw a switch and wait for the tubes to warm up, etc., but there was no access to these sort of forums, information from around the world, millions of books, and you-name-it that was going to reach me via that stuff.

Like everything else in life i guess it's a series of trade offs, get some stuff, lose some stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    I can remember when you walked across the living room and hit the power switch. And after a minute or so for the tubes to warm up, about the time you are comfortably settled in your chair, bingo you had picture and sound. Only one channel, but picture and sound was there. And it did not freeze.
    Paul? Would you do me a favor? Would you please reach behind the set and adjust the vertical hold pot? The picture has been flipping. And if that doesn't do it, give the set a good knock on the side.. But then you'll probably need to adjust the tuner a bit. Just don't upset the tinfoil on the antenna!

Your mention of tin foil on the antenna brings back a memory from my younger years. We had an RCA tube type, B&W TV and, by that time, about three local TV stations. I walked into the living room one afternoon and my dad was there LITERALLY hanging wire coat hangers on the rabbit ears antenna on top of the TV and rotating the antenna and the coat hangers for best reception. He wanted to see a game that was blacked out locally (New Orleans) and was trying to get the Baton Rouge station that was carrying that game. He had a 99% static picture about 50% of the time and really noisy audio. He asked me to go get more coat hangers and had me try standing in different positions around the room.

And we complain about the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    Paul? Would you do me a favor? Would you please reach behind the set and adjust the vertical hold pot? The picture has been flipping. And if that doesn't do it, give the set a good knock on the side.. But then you'll probably need to adjust the tuner a bit. Just don't upset the tinfoil on the antenna!
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Where I am, antenna TV service has always been very poor - I only got 2 or at most 5 local channels. I got cable service around 1980, mostly for local channels. In 1984 I moved out, so I canceled cable and had it in my mother's house where I relocated for awhile. Back to my own house in 1999, and by then I think they had introduced digital TV with converter boxes for the old analog TVs that I still had. But now I could only get a couple channels, and they became unwatchable when the signal strength weakened.

I didn't watch much TV then, and I still used a phone modem for internet until around 2006, when I got a FIOS triple play bundle for less than $100/mo. I got a better TV and started watching it more, and I expanded my internet activity as well. By 2016 or so the FIOS ratcheted up to almost $200/mo, so I switched to Xfinity/Comcast for about half the price. I do lose the cable service for a little while every time the power flickers off even for a second or two, and I also lose phone service, even though it is a "land line". It's just not straight copper POTS to the pole anymore. I might be able to get a backup battery as the FIOS had.

Every once in a while I find that I lose the WiFi connection, and sometimes just internet access, but it usually comes back after as long as an hour or so. Good time to take a break from the digital world and read a book or attend to neglected household chores. Sometimes I need to reboot the computer and/or the modem or cable STB, but that's pretty rare. So I'm pretty happy with my digital equipment, which is really only my computer(s), TV, and printer/scanner, although I had problems connected via WiFi so I have to use a USB cable when I need to use it, and that is only rarely. I only occasionally use my 7" Winbook or my 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab something.

My wife has a new car. It has a digital display for EVERYTHING!!! I liked my cars a lot better when they had knobs that were either pushed in or pulled out.
    Brian Rupnow

Quality is sure better with digital.... Digital is a breeze - if it craps out easy to determine the issue. My stuff is all rock solid.

One of my issues is the volume control. Used to be that if you wanted more volume you turn the knob. Volume goes up or down right away. And you can turn the volume down even with the power off. Now you find a tiny button and hold- and wait- and wonder. No way you can turn the volume down very quickly. Even if there is a knob, now you have to turn it many times to get where you want.

On the computer it's worse. I have to find the icon, click- wait- then move the cursor to the slider and keep it in line while you move the slider up or down. Then it goes away- repeat to adjust volume again. Just what I want to do when I'm cruising videos and one is either too quiet to hear, or it's blasting out some annoying c-rap that has nothing to do with the video.

Oh, but I do have a volume control knob- somewhere under the desk on the back of the subwoofer
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-