Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT: It's All Gonna Be Better When We .........

Quote Originally Posted by darryl View Post
    On the computer it's worse. I have to find the icon, click- wait- then move the cursor to the slider and keep it in line while you move the slider up or down. Then it goes away- repeat to adjust volume again.
    Yes. And it's worse when you're mixing audio with headphones, needing to listen to quiet parts, and don't want your ears blasted. I use an older USB audio device with knobs to adjust volume. It's an Edirol UA5. Very handy.

All these things have turned out to be a big head ache and time waster. Just think what you could get done in the shop if you didn't have to constantly trouble shoot all these things.
    I had my share last week.

JL.........

Every digital device I hav works FAR better than the analog version. There is no comparison.

That's hen they are working.

There is nothing so broke as a digital device that does not work right.... OK, a non-working device that is both digital AND made by Apple is worse..... but I digress....

Analog devices such as TVs tended to "sorta work", even if not perfectly.... and the nature of the "sorta working" gave stron hints as to the problem.

A digital TV EITHER has a picture, or it has nothing. There is never a "bad " picture, there is a good one or nothing. And, generally, a nonworking digital device gives no particular clue as to the problem, at least not the way analog ones did.

So, the "digital" aspect involves even the failure mode..... There is much to like about analog..... and there is much to like about digital, so long as you are not totally dependent on it.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    A digital TV EITHER has a picture, or it has nothing. There is never a "bad " picture, there is a good one or nothing.
    Very not true.
    That's what they assured everyone before the switch from analog to digital over-the-air signals. Regarding those digital OTA signals - before, when I had a marginal signal, there was some degree of 'snow'. The picture and sound were quite tolerable. NOW, if the digital signal is at all problematic, we get seriously annoying and random giant pixelation that cuts in and out in a manner that is completely unwatchable (and intolerable to listen to).

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Very not true.
    That's what they assured everyone before the switch from analog to digital over-the-air signals. Regarding those digital OTA signals - before, when I had a marginal signal, there was some degree of 'snow'. The picture and sound were quite tolerable. NOW, if the digital signal is at all problematic, we get seriously annoying and random giant pixelation that cuts in and out in a manner that is completely unwatchable (and intolerable to listen to).
    Ah,,NO... It IS true......

I see the giant pixel problem, but the picture also freezes, and there is usually no sound. The frozen pic is not being transmitted or picked up that way, it is a buffered previous picture that your adapter box or TV is just holding.

So there truly is either a picture or no picture... what you see is a "feature" of the TV itself or the adapter box if you have one.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Alciatore View Post

The only digital service that I have that seems to work well is telephone. I guess they haven't figured out how to screw that up ..... yet.
    Yeah, they have figured out how to screw that up. Old system was powered from the central office. Newer phones (and newer phone service ) depend on the public power grid.

Old service was supposed to be up for all but 30 seconds a year. Newer ones shoot for several minutes. We had one digital system in the 1980s that was designed to reboot under certain trouble conditions. The problem was that it booted off of a tape cartridge, so every reboot was AT LEAST 10 minutes, more if it did not read the tape right. It was decided that 30 MINUTES a year was the new goal.

On the other hand, the newer digital multiplexed switching matrix allows easier joining of multiple data streams (calls) so that 3 way calling, call waiting and police eavesdropping are all much easier to implement. So there are some upsides to the whole thing.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

A crappy partial picture, followed by another crappy partial picture, and so on, is not "a good picture or nothing" - it is a bad picture. There are zero good or complete pictures. They are not previous/buffered pictures, they are new (but useless) pictures.
    I am not overly concerned with the technicalities or excuses, and have no reason to argue the point further. Am just noting that that particular categorical statement I heard so many times isn't exactly true, and the end result is much more annoying than the previous and far more tolerable 'snow'. So, in this case, going digital ended up being a negative, at least in one significant regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    I have had a fun day and week.

OT: It's All Gonna Be Better When We .........
    I dont know. I think it is a preference.

Some folks like some things digital and not other things.

Some folks like all digital for most things.

And some folks dont like any digital. Maybe because they (Like Myself) learned to work with it.

Again, In my opinion I like the choice we have. And I would never bag on someone for either.

Enjoyed the story. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Most musical instruments, as well as writing implements, have been digital for hundreds of years. After all, that just means they are operated with your fingers (or possibly toes)

Makes it easier to see where analog came from- somewhere between the digits.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-