Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toe Jack

Default Toe Jack

I posted about this yesterday in the what did you do today. "I spent the day cutting out parts for a toe jack of my own design. Actually, it's a combination of ideas stolen from you tube videos with a couple of my own thrown in for good measure and to fit my needs. I'll take some pics today in case someone else is nuts enough to want to make one. Most of the materials have been lying around the place for years, but had to bite the bullet and hit the local steel supplier for the 1/2" plate for the base. I asked if they had any drops about 8 x 10 and he said sure. How about 20 bucks? I just gave him my best f... you look, and he said give me ten. I was tempted to get really stupid, but needed the plate so said OK. I actually started this project a few weeks ago, but that base plate was holding me up. There is a scrap yard not too far away that sells steel for $.14 a lb., but you have to buy the whole piece. The smallest they had was about 8x10 ft. so it was bend over at the steel supplier.
    So Here's the progress so far. The parts cut out and ready to prep for welding:
    It didn't take long to get tired of grinding the angles for the welds, so cleared the area in front of the mill, and cleaned the table, put a plug on it's cord, and cranked it up for the first time since bringing it home.

Installed the new "Not-a-Kurt" vise, and started cutting bevels.

It will go together something like this:

Oops, please excuse the dangling lens cap.
    The lifting toe/slide:

Hope to get it finished today, but the mig rig is behind the mill. Trying to decide if I want to drag the mill out of the way, or go with stick welding. One more headache added to the mix. More to come.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

That is one of the simpler designs I've seen that still deals with all the issues and possible side loads. Really nice.

They are a super handy tool to have. I made one ages ago copied after Madman's and after have one you just wouldn't be without it when machine moving day rolls around

I bought mine. I found it indespensible.

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    That is one of the simpler designs I've seen that still deals with all the issues and possible side loads. Really nice.
    Thanks BCRider. I started the welding today, and decided to go with the stick, mainly because moving the mill is a giant pita. Boy, my welding sucks. It's been several years since I've done any stick welding, and my first go at it today really showed the loss of what little touch I may have had back in the day. Mind you, I've never claimed to be a welder. To top it all off, I somehow managed to stick a hot rod to my forearm, so that did it for today. Besides burning my arm, the 100 degree heat was getting to me.
    Gotta love Mississippi summers.

Lewis Grizzard

Quote Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
    I posted about this yesterday in the what did you do today. "I spent the day cutting out parts for a toe jack of my own design. Actually, it's a combination of ideas stolen from you tube videos with a couple of my own thrown in for good measure and to fit my needs. I'll take some pics today in case someone else is nuts enough to want to make one. Most of the materials have been lying around the place for years, but had to bite the bullet and hit the local steel supplier for the 1/2" plate for the base. I asked if they had any drops about 8 x 10 and he said sure. How about 20 bucks? I just gave him my best f... you look, and he said give me ten. I was tempted to get really stupid, but needed the plate so said OK. I actually started this project a few weeks ago, but that base plate was holding me up. There is a scrap yard not too far away that sells steel for $.14 a lb., but you have to buy the whole piece. The smallest they had was about 8x10 ft. so it was bend over at the steel supplier.
    So Here's the progress so far. The parts cut out and ready to prep for welding:
    It didn't take long to get tired of grinding the angles for the welds, so cleared the area in front of the mill, and cleaned the table, put a plug on it's cord, and cranked it up for the first time since bringing it home.

Installed the new "Not-a-Kurt" vise, and started cutting bevels.

It will go together something like this:

Oops, please excuse the dangling lens cap.
    The lifting toe/slide:

Hope to get it finished today, mbut the ig rig is behind the mill. Trying to decide if I want to drag the mill out of the way, or go with stick welding. One more headache added to the mix. More to come.
    That's a good idea. I could use one of those and I do have a spare bottle jack.
    but the mig rig is behind the mill I'll never complain again about being cramped.

JL..................

I have a mess for sure and it's way past time to get rid of some of the crap that has accumulated over the years. I bought a 12 x 30 shed about 5 years ago to help with that, but somehow it has become nearly as bad as the garage. Some serious thinning of the junk is in order. I bought the mill knowing that it could not be used until space was cleared for it. I probably should have passed on it but have only seen two for sale around here in the past five years. Who knows if, or when another one will come up for sale? The toe jack will let me get the mill up enough to slide my pallet jack under it which will make it easy to move around. Then I can get started on clearing the garage out.

Lewis Grizzard

Quality work, project and basic idea.
    Kudos dude, i like it.

I'm liking that. Is that 1/2" stock? When do we see the finished product?

Thanks thaiguzzi and CCWKen, always appreciate positive feedback. CCWKen yes everything is 1/2 stock except for the angle guides for the sliding toe. Those were cut from some channel that was part of a Western Electric Cable rack out of a telephone central office. The almost finished product:
    I say almost finished because I've decided to sand blast and paint it. Of course that will happen after I fix this:

When I tacked the ring to the top plate I had the whole works assembled and clamped together to insure that the ring was located properly. I should have checked the operation before welding it solid, but didn't. I have no idea how it got off center. Gremlins?

Lewis Grizzard