Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Toe Jack

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    I can see where something like this would come in handy but what's the main reason for having one of these? .
    lift up a machine so you can get something under it, an operation that is needed constantly when moving - i.e. repositioning rollers. If you've a crane or forklift its probably not super exciting but for the home shop without those its a huge back and labour saving device over fulcrum and pry bar
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 06-24-2019 at 08:55 AM.

I see - like a lathe I guess? I don't see where you could use it on a common knee mill though right?

I see - like a lathe I guess? I don't see where you could use it on a common knee mill though right?
    I've used it on mills many times and its always work.....there is usually a spot when you can slip it under an edge
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 06-24-2019 at 09:23 AM.

Oh now I see it... thanks for getting me to look at the pics closer yes that would come in damn handy - initially I thought it was just a way to give a regular jack a larger squirm free platform,,,

these make allot of sense thanks.

Moving my mill is the reason I built the toe jack. Here's a pic of the mill on the trailer. Notice the chainhoist hook is inserted in the gap in the mill's base and the hoist is hanging from a chain wrapped around an I beam that is laid across the rails of the trailer. All that to lift the mill enough to insert some 1"rollers (pipes) under it. Working alone, that setup took a couple of hours. A toe jack would have done the job in 2 minutes or less with a whale of a lot less effort.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Quote Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
    A toe jack would have done the job in 2 minutes or less with a whale of a lot less effort.
    Yes as long as the wood is at least close to a support structure underneath or bad things could happen, what a handy tool to have though good work.

Yes as long as the wood is at least close to a support structure underneath or bad things could happen, what a handy tool to have though good work.
    You are absolutely correct on the the under floor support. Made me visualize a Wylie Coyote type thing with the jack going through the floor and the mill landing on top of of him The wood on my trailer is in need of replacing. It's pressure treated, but it's been on there since in the early 80's when I built the trailer. The wood is on top of a honeycombed framework made of 4" channel, spaced on 18" centers. I was rebuilding farm tractor transmissions at that time, so the deck had to be strong enough to carry a 10,000 lb tractor.

Lewis Grizzard

Made a new ring and not taking any chances on it not being in correct alignment with the jack pad.

Have a look at my crappy weld. I actually had the guts to make this pic before cleaning it up The whole works will look much better after sand blasting and a coat of paint. It will be a while though, as today I'm starting a remodel project on BIL's shower. Tearing out rotten melamine panels and replacing everything to the studs. Casing with plywood, wonderboard, and finishing with ceramic tile.

Lewis Grizzard

Paint is finally dry enough to handle, so here it is:

And here:
    And here:

Lewis Grizzard