Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crimping without a crimper

Post Crimping without a crimper

I need to put a crimped edge (like the crimped edge on stove pipe) on some sheet metal, but I don't have crimping rolls. I'll be using 18ga. sheetmetal. Other than making a set of rolls, has anyone come up with another way of doing this?

Thanks,
    Frank

I have a set of crimping pliers that you can borrow if you like. I have never tried them (got them at a yard sale) but I imagine that they will work for a one time job.
    To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Are you making both pieces or are you trying to match something that already exists. If you are making both pieces do you have to have a crimp? There are other ways to join and seal sheetmetal.

Joe

The crimping pliers kindly G.A. Ewen offered are what you want. Also fairly affordable to buy if you're doing much of this work.

air Flange crimpers are as cheap as the pliers.

I got a piece of railroad iron on legs, I can use the edge to crimp w/a hammer and lots of time.

If there's a woodstove shop in your vicinity, I wouldn't be surprised if they have some crimping pliers they would let you use if you showed up at their door with the piece of sheetmetal in question.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    If at first you don't succeed, try, try, again. Then give up. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. -- W.C. Fields

18ga. is going to be tough to crimp with crimping pliers and hard to get even. As a matter of fact, 18ga. is over the limit of most hand driven Crimping machines.

Crimp "dies" are nothing but two gears. The metal is run between them. You'll need a heavy duty setup for 18ga. but it won't be that hard to make one.

The pic below shows a stove pipe crimper. The Ogee dies in front of the crimp gears are optional and can be removed.

18 Ga. is thick and no way you're gonna crimp with pliers. Rollers will be difficult unless it's a big unit. Might try a shrinker. You can buy the dies alone but still pricey. If it is a flat piece you can make a die set for you're hydraulic press. Make the set with serrations like a pair of step blocks for the mill. Make a holding fixture for the dies so they don't slide sideways. I have a 50 ton press that "molds" 16ga. in a similar fashion. Even then 50 tons seems abit "light". JRouche

Is this a round or square object?
    John

tattoomike68 Guest

I have a crimper just like the pic CCWKen, looks like i need to round up sume stuff and have a sale.