Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite cheap dial bore measuring gage?

Default Favorite cheap dial bore measuring gage?

I'm looking at this one but has anyone here actually bought one or a similar one? https://www.amazon.com/Anytime-Tools...JYX32JKVKVDRFA
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

I have the same one, except mine came with a Fowler indicator. I rarely use it, but it did the job just fine when I did need it

That will work well for you, it is not direct reading so will only give you the difference between the part bore and the setting ring or micrometer used to set it.

The difference between a $100.00 tool and a $300.00 tool is how long it will last in a machine shop where it will be used by multiple employees weekly. also highend tools are often more user friendly with excellent repeatabillity.

Use that gauge that you have and it will work well, if you need to measure 100 bores per day it would not be my first choice however.

Useful for production runs of identical parts. Less useful for one offs.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

I use adjustable parallels and measure across opposite corners with a micrometer. Just expand the parallel in the bore and measure.

I posted this method some time ago with pictures for those to better understand the method

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...=measure+bores

Rich

I have a very similar set from Enco, made in China.
    It is not bad at all. I actually really like it.
    It is difficult to set with a mic and even harder with calipers
    but it can work. They are for comparative measurements.
    I have about 20 or so setting rings, mostly throw aways
    given to me by QC. These are really the way to go for setting
    these bore gauges. The things I don't like about them, are the
    silly shim rings, .100", .050", and .020". They get you further
    down the road within a given range. I keep mine on a safety
    pin to avoid loosing them in the box.

--Doozer
    DZER

If you're serious about your hobby, you need to buy one of these

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    If you're serious about your hobby, you need to buy one of these (photo removed)

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Nah, choosy hobbyists choose Tesa
    https://www.hexagonmi.com/about-us/a...e-do/metrology

The item as linked by the OP seems as if it will work, but is a paon to use.... kinda like the 0-6" Tumico mic I have, that has changeable anvils for the ranges. For some reason I still have it, but have not used it for close to 10 years or so.....

No matter what I wanted to measure, the mic was set up for the wrong size, so each time it had to be re-set up, and verified with a standard. I finally accumulated a set of mics from 0 to 6", and put that ^%$#@! Tumico mic on the top shelf of the cabinet where it would not bother me.

I keep thinking it is easier to carry around than a full set, if I have to go somewhere with mics... so I keep it. Up to now, that issue has not come up, so it stays up on the top shelf.

I see that bore gage as being the same, only with so many possible sizes that the off chance of it being on the right range next time is even lower. And since it still needs to be set up with a mic or gage blocks, i might as well just use telescoping gages and that same mic.

Ever since I got rid of the bad set of gages that had flats on the tips, I have had no particular problem using the gages.

Then also, the bore gage has to be centered the same as telescoping gages. Now, the thing to have is a set of Intrimiks (I think that is the name) that measure with three plungers, so they self center and screwups are much harder. There are also bore gages like that one in the link, but having also side pads, so they measure somewhat the same way as the "sleds" do, and are far easier to use right than that linked device, that has to be aligned in 2 planes.

Maybe I am seeing too many problems.... it likely can work well, and is not overly expensive.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan