Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hammer Handles

Default Hammer Handles

Nope. Not a wood handle. I can easily replace one of those.

I've got a number of hammers with fiberglass handles that have a rubber over molded grip. The fiberglass handles on all of them are fine, but the rubber over mold is failing on several of them. I know, I know. Wander over to Harbor Freight and buy another one... the thing is not all of them are cheap Harbor Freight hammers. Some of them are admittedly well more than 20 years old. Some are over 30. I suppose I could knock out the fiberglass, and install a wood handle, but there is something just plane wrong with that.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Plasti dip? Baseball grip wrap? 3d print one.....(sorry had to lol)

The rubber insulation tape that sticks to itself, without adhesive, might work well.

Golf club grip.

Whip the grip part or the whole handle with seine twine or other suitable cord. There's an endless variety of ornamental whippings, you cab be as plain or fancy as you like.

+1 for twine,but I would wet the twine with ahesive and wrap the handle to the shape you want.Then use some large diameter heat shrink tubing for the actual grip.The big shrink tubing is pretty cheap on Amazon.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

I second the self-vulcanizing rubber tape which I have used successfully on hammer handles. When it eventually needs replaced, just slice thru to the handle and peel off.

They also make cushioned grip tape for bicycle handles. I think there are lots of good options to replace the over molded rubber... The hardest part is probably removing the old rubber so you have an even surface to wrap.

Sure are a lot of good choices posted.

JL..............

Buy new grips:
    https://www.mcmaster.com/grips

Other companies specialize in them. A simple round grip (with about .062 wall) works pretty well for most things. I have a wide assortment left over from product development and projects. As it has turned out, they are very handy to have on hand.