Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Threading with Retractable Dies on Lathe (Dump parts used)

Very nicely done, but why not make something that fastens to the carriage? That's how those dies are used on the various machines that Ridgid had designed.
    Then you would not need the spline or the mounting block that you made, on which you did do a very nice job...
    see:
    https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/535-threading-machine
    paul
    ARS W9PCS

Esto Vigilans

Remember, just because you can doesn't mean you should...
    but you may have to

Do you have standard SAE dies for it too or is it just pipe dies? It looks like a pipe threading head.

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

I'm also wondering why you used a spline instead of just sliding the tailstock.
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

I like the pto
    Sometimes when I am using a tailstock feed, it is hard to get a sense the initial pressure starting the feed(especially on my big monarch)
    With this method I could lock my tailstock and handwheel feed with better “feedback” until die grabs and starts to walk on the telescoping shaft
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    yes nice work, what an unusual spline the outer piece is, it's like it's OD is meant to also be an ID spline...

lot's of torsion going through that little bolted piece that's for sure, how thin of wall after drilling and tapping?

your going to have the straightest threads going, I hate getting pre-fab pipe from the hardware store half of it's crooked just by looking at it let alone screwing it in...
    The PTO shaft is made in Italy inner peice has Teflon coating on it,I used existing yokes that were welded to shaft.Machined remaining portion round then Tight Press fit into bored cavity in 3/4" plate,the plate where 6 #10 200000 tensile Socket Cap bolts attach Plate on shaft.
    Quote Originally Posted by bborr01 View Post
    Do you have standard SAE dies for it too or is it just pipe dies? It looks like a pipe threading head.

Brian
    Quote Originally Posted by bborr01 View Post
    I'm also wondering why you used a spline instead of just sliding the tailstock.
    I have NPT Dies and Bolt Dies,the Tailstock is 260lbs so sliding on smaller sizes like 1/4" might be a problem.I built a similar sliding Tap holder that fits in Tailstock also.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmonger View Post
    Very nicely done, but why not make something that fastens to the carriage? That's how those dies are used on the various machines that Ridgid had designed.
    Then you would not need the spline or the mounting block that you made, on which you did do a very nice job...
    see:
    https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/535-threading-machine
    My carriage has no T slots on it to accomadate the Die Head,Tailstock setup requires no tools for set.

Played around with Die Head tonight and used 3/8" 16NC Dies for threading 3/4" 16 NF ,just opened dies up took a few passes to get it in right position.The pic shows single pass.

Finished up project by adding Threading Oil Tank that applied oil directly on the threading dies as in first pic,it simply lifts off when die head needs to be removed as in second pic.The 5/8 hex shaft excepts the 5/8" socket that is welded to a 11/16" that hold the brass valve in place.This is a real bonus was struggling to get oil where it needed to be on the dies.

Now that is genius! You could also use that bottle arrangement for drip feeding oil during parting or on a stead/follow rest.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Quote Originally Posted by wierdscience View Post
    Now that is genius! You could also use that bottle arrangement for drip feeding oil during parting or on a stead/follow rest.
    Thanks, I will put a container under Die Head and catch most of the oil and reuse it.The sockets work great for simple mount and dismount.