Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Want to extract Excel data OUT to DWG or DXF or directly to CAD

Default Want to extract Excel data OUT to DWG or DXF or directly to CAD

I have a need to find a fast, easy, and automated ( if possible ) solution to exporting text values ( point coordinate data** ) OUT from Excel, and IN to CAD. This can be DWG, DXF, or even directly into CAD.

I cannot simply export the whole sheet as a space delimited file. There is a metric buttload of data in it that comprises 90% of it and I only want the 10% that are coordinate points. This is a recurring need, hence the desire to automate it.

Is anyone aware of a program that will do this?

** - actually, they are three point arc values. However, I am willing to construct the arcs myself if necessary if I can successfully obtain the points.
    Last edited by Zahnrad Kopf; 06-26-2019 at 09:37 AM.

Some CAD programs have an ability to do such "data driven" design. Alibre is supposed to do that, although I have not used the capability. I am pretty sure others do as well.

The data may need to be put into a particular format within the excel file.

You might ask on the Alibre forum. Or I can, if you PM me more details of what you need.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

If you are using AutoCAD the underlying program is AutoLisp. My understanding is that later versions also accept Visual Basic (VB) language code. I know it's not a direct solution but may point you in the right direction. I had done some minor ACAD programming in VB years ago, but those are distant memories.

Please let us know what version of CAD you are using.

Best Regards,
    Bob

There are programs you could buy to do this. A quick "Excel DWG file" web search popped up a couple.

If you're handy with code, you could write up a VB script to do this for you.

Why would AutoCad data ever get into Excel format to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post
    I have a need to find a fast, easy, and automated ( if possible ) solution to exporting text values ( point coordinate data** ) OUT from Excel, and IN to CAD. This can be DWG, DXF, or even directly into CAD.
    Have a look at a program called RapidDXF. This is less than automated inasfar as you have to open RapidDXF, select your input .XLS file and name your output file.

Alternatively, dxfwrite (and its companion dxfgrabber) is a very powerful Python library that will do what you want, including drawing the arcs. Can be as automated as you like to make it.

Edit: if you search for CSV to DXF, you will find lots of options. Excel data is just CSV with nice colours and fonts.
    Last edited by djc; 06-26-2019 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    Some CAD programs have an ability to do such "data driven" design. Alibre is supposed to do that, although I have not used the capability. I am pretty sure others do as well.
    The data may need to be put into a particular format within the excel file.
    You might ask on the Alibre forum. Or I can, if you PM me more details of what you need.
    Appreciated, but don't have Alibre and ( frankly ) do not want to obtain a whole CAD package for the conversion of the data points. Please see below for further explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by rjs44032 View Post
    If you are using AutoCAD the underlying program is AutoLisp. My understanding is that later versions also accept Visual Basic (VB) language code. I know it's not a direct solution but may point you in the right direction. I had done some minor ACAD programming in VB years ago, but those are distant memories.
    Please let us know what version of CAD you are using.
    Best Regards,
    Bob
    Cursory searches lead me to believe that current AutoDesk packages require VB and that AutoLisp is broken or not seamless to Inventor.

Quote Originally Posted by wyop View Post
    There are programs you could buy to do this. A quick "Excel DWG file" web search popped up a couple.
    If you're handy with code, you could write up a VB script to do this for you.
    I should have specified that, early out - I have searched and found a few offerings, but nothing that ACTUALLY seems to work well, yet. For whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by jmarkwolf View Post
    Why would AutoCad data ever get into Excel format to begin with?
    There are actually NUMEROUS reasons. Most of which have nothing to do with the intent, here. However, this is not AutoCAD data that was put into Excel format. This is a large number of mathematical calculations that have been done in a spreadsheet and the results occupy specific cells. I want the numerical values in those cells to be output in a manner that will allow me to use them in a CAD program for the purpose of constructing geometry quickly.

I do not necessarily desire it in ANY proprietary format. In fact, I prefer that it NOT be. I do not wish the result to be tied to any one company's program use.

Clear as mud?

Quote Originally Posted by djc View Post
    Have a look at a program called RapidDXF. This is less than automated inasfar as you have to open RapidDXF, select your input .XLS file and name your output file.
    Alternatively, dxfwrite (and its companion dxfgrabber) is a very powerful Python library that will do what you want, including drawing the arcs. Can be as automated as you like to make it.
    Edit: if you search for CSV to DXF, you will find lots of options. Excel data is just CSV with nice colours and fonts.
    Thank you. I will investigate that a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by djc View Post
    EDITTING/ADDED -

Thank you for that, as well. I forget this from time to time and do well to be reminded of it.
    Last edited by Zahnrad Kopf; 06-26-2019 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post

I cannot simply export the whole sheet as a space delimited file. There is a metric buttload of data in it that comprises 90% of it and I only want the 10% that are coordinate points. This is a recurring need, hence the desire to automate it.

Is anyone aware of a program that will do this?

** - actually, they are three point arc values. However, I am willing to construct the arcs myself if necessary if I can successfully obtain the points.
    There is a book called, "Automate the boring stuff with Python". I'm actually reading it right now. It covers file handling, opening and editing Excel sheets, using regular expressions to extract certain data from a large file, etc.
    With this book, you could write a Python script that would do what you want. Take your Excel, and output space delineated data, of the data you only want. It's going to require you to learn a new skill but ultimately give you the power to do exactly what you need.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

You might consider a two step process. That may make it easier and/or less expensive.

Macros in Excel can do many things. You could use one or more to extract that data to a text file.

Then import those text files into your drawing(s).

You can get a big head start on writing an Excel macro by using the built in macro recorder. Turn Excel's macro recorder on and just go through the steps involved in whatever you want the macro to do. Then turn the macro recorder off. You typically have to edit those recorded macros, but they provide a starting point with a macro which works.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!