Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stainless for outdoors in UK

Default Stainless for outdoors in UK

What would be better for outdoor art in the uK - 304 or 316 or something else?

Trying to find one that will be ok for all regions - coastal etc.

Cost is relevant as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    What would be better for outdoor art in the uK - 304 or 316 or something else?

Trying to find one that will be ok for all regions - coastal etc.

Cost is relevant as always.
    Both will work equally well, the finishing operation is important however.
    If polished to a mirror finish neither material will corrode or discolor in ambient conditions, passivation is a less costly alternative but will not produce a polished finish.
    https://www.delstar.com/stainless-st...SAAEgJJXPD_BwE

316 is minimum recommed for coastal areas so 304 is out of question and anything better than 316 gets rare and more expensive

https://www.bssa.org.uk/cms/File/IMO...ecified....pdf

http://www.solutionsdirectonline.com...-corrosion.pdf

If you follow the selection guidelines you’ll find pretty fast that you should use something better than even 316 in many cases.
    Last edited by MattiJ; 06-30-2019 at 07:35 AM.

Thanks,

i'll try getting a price for 317.

It's only 'garden art' stuff, no structural parts.

My next concern is the finishing process. I found some time back that keeping a set of polishing tools for stainless only i.e. no steel work, made a lot of difference to longevity of parts. Trouble with this new line is that the finish i want is easily obtainable with a wire cup brush on a grinder, this cleans the edges easily and also gives a good appearance - trouble is its steel bristles, will that count as contamination?

Might be able to get similar effect with fine discs, will have to test first.

Trouble with this new line is that the finish i want is easily obtainable with a wire cup brush on a grinder, this cleans the edges easily and also gives a good appearance - trouble is its steel bristles, will that count as contamination?

Yes, you will need to use a brush with stainless bristles if you want to go that route.

Stainless is usually finishhed for brushed look with something like this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JLkJhJXZgLQ

Thanks,

i'll try getting a price for 317.

It's only 'garden art' stuff, no structural parts.

My next concern is the finishing process. I found some time back that keeping a set of polishing tools for stainless only i.e. no steel work, made a lot of difference to longevity of parts. Trouble with this new line is that the finish i want is easily obtainable with a wire cup brush on a grinder, this cleans the edges easily and also gives a good appearance - trouble is its steel bristles, will that count as contamination?

It's likely that using non stainless brushes will cause contamination. The company I worked for made food processing and packaging machinery. Per the USDA rules any equipment on a food contact area that was exposed to caustic washdown had to be made from materials that wouldn't rust or corrode. In most cases that meant 316 stainless.

To avoid contamination especially in weld seams we used dedicated stainless wire brushes, flap disks, grinding wheels, etc., etc. These tools were never used on anything but 316 stainless. Just using a flap disk one time on ferrous metals could get some imbedded in the grit. If it was used on stainless it would then likely be transferred to the part being ground. The evidence would show up months later as a streak of rust running down the side of a machine.

Ok, makes sense, i'll look for a stainless cup brush with M14 mount.

Might be able to get similar with an abrasive pad but they don't last as long as the simple cup brush

Quote Originally Posted by projectnut View Post
    It's likely that using non stainless brushes will cause contamination. The company I worked for made food processing and packaging machinery. Per the USDA rules any equipment on a food contact area that was exposed to caustic washdown had to be made from materials that wouldn't rust or corrode. In most cases that meant 316 stainless.

To avoid contamination especially in weld seams we used dedicated stainless wire brushes, flap disks, grinding wheels, etc., etc. These tools were never used on anything but 316 stainless. Just using a flap disk one time on ferrous metals could get some imbedded in the grit. If it was used on stainless it would then likely be transferred to the part being ground. The evidence would show up months later as a streak of rust running down the side of a machine.
    Nice, i'll get stainless cup-brush and keep a grinder only for stainless, I'll also do some tests with 304 etc in the garden, maybe deliberately spray with mild salt water etc see what happens.