Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick Change Tool Post

Quote Originally Posted by MrWhoopee View Post
    IIRC there is also new swiss and german made ones available also.

Multifix is so popular in Europe that I don't think its going to disappear any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    Ha that's a good chunk of what i paid for my entire machine lol

can't beat the wedge type, it seems like mine has a repeat within 2/10ths but I suppose the price i bought mine for is going to be tough to find with all that going on now lately...
    I bought mine in January of 2018 for $119.00, the same price CDCO currently lists it for, and it included:
    Knurling, Turning & Facing Holder
    Parting Blade Holder
    Heavy Duty Boring Bar Holder
    Boring, Turning & Facing Tool Holder
    Turning & Facing Tool Holder

I have a genuine Multifix C toolpost on my 14hp lathe and it is great. Now I have about 20 toolholders for it. They are pretty easy to find used here in Germany.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Paul, No, I do not have a video at this time. But that is on my list. I have not made any videos yet and that is a strange thing after a career in TV where I participated in thousands of productions. But I was always behind the cameras, not out front.

I have two or four projects to do/finish before I can get to that, but it is coming. I probably should do one or two other, practice videos first.

Quote Originally Posted by PStechPaul View Post
    Paul A., do you have a video showing your toolpost in action? I think that would be quite helpful. I have a set of Little Machine Shop AXA size toolpost and holders for my HF 9x20 lathe, and they seem a bit too large, so I might consider making one of your design. Thanks.

https://littlemachineshop.com/produc...2280&category=
    Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 07-01-2019 at 04:10 PM.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    I bought mine in January of 2018 for $119.00, the same price CDCO currently lists it for, and it included:
    Not as bad as i thought I bought mine for 100 but that was back in around 2006 ish

How many tool changes do you do per day?

I sometimes run 50 or more part jobs that require 4 or more tool changes per part or 400-500 tool changes per 8 hour shift on old Bridgeport/Romi CNC lathes, this quickly becomes tiresome.
    If I have to make parts the require sub .001" (bearing bores for example) dimensions I run all of these operations last with no tool changes, we use Aloris tool posts but they will not repeat to <.001" after a tool change regardless of what Aloris claims.
    As an example I started 4 parts today, 316 SS, 8.500" +- .030 OD x 4.5" long +- .015", one end has a bore 7.485 +.003 -0.000 x .789 deep.

The other end has a diameter of 7.5003" +.0002" -.0000" x .625 +-.015" long.
    Did the OD and bore on 1 end in about 7 hours, nailing the .0002" tolerance on the other end is going to take a minimum 6 more hours if I am lucky. I will not change tools.

This means that virtually any toolpost that you can afford will do general turning within .001/.002", if as a hobbyist you require sub .001" accuracy there is no QC tool post that will work for you with that machine.

I have had excellent experiences with Dorian products in the past but they may be a bit more expensive then what you are looking for.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Bented View Post
    How many tool changes do you do per day?

I sometimes run 50 or more part jobs that require 4 or more tool changes per part or 400-500 tool changes per 8 hour shift on old Bridgeport/Romi CNC lathes, this quickly becomes tiresome.
    If I have to make parts the require sub .001" (bearing bores for example) dimensions I run all of these operations last with no tool changes, we use Aloris tool posts but they will not repeat to <.001" after a tool change regardless of what Aloris claims.
    As an example I started 4 parts today, 316 SS, 8.500" +- .030 OD x 4.5" long +- .015", one end has a bore 7.485 +.003 -0.000 x .789 deep.

The other end has a diameter of 7.5003" +.0002" -.0000" x .625 +-.015" long.
    Did the OD and bore on 1 end in about 7 hours, nailing the .0002" tolerance on the other end is going to take a minimum 6 more hours if I am lucky. I will not change tools.

This means that virtually any toolpost that you can afford will do general turning within .001/.002", if as a hobbyist you require sub .001" accuracy there is no QC tool post that will work for you with that machine.

I have had excellent experiences with Dorian products in the past but they may be a bit more expensive then what you are looking for.

Good Luck
    I have seen the poor repeatability of aloris toolposts and their clones myself. I now have a cnc engine lathe with a aloris and the lack of repeatability is a big complaint of mine. I am a hobbyist so I cannot justify something like a multifix so I guess I just have to put up with poor repeatability.

Hi,

The only way you will ever get less than =/-.001" is to have turret mounted changer on your cnc lathe. Even a Multifix isn't quite that good.
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

I am totally surprised that one of the best known and most expensive QC tool posts (Aloris) will not hold 0.001" repeatability. What's the use if you can't repeat the position of the tool when it is remounted? I fully expected that the piston style tool posts would be problematic, but Aloris seems to use the wedge design exclusively. And it still does not repeat under a thousandth? That does surprise me. I did expect my post to be superior, but I also expected a closer contest from a post that costs many hundreds of dollars.

I have said it before and I will say it again, MY POST WILL REPEAT TO LESS THAN 0.001". PERIOD. This applies to all three directions: X, Y, and Z. It does this by NOT using the dovetail design that almost all the commercial tool posts use. It also avoids the large diameter, thumb wheel with locking nut for the vertical adjustment. The thumb wheel rides against the top of it's threads on the screw while you are adjusting it and then, when you tighten the lock nut it is pushed down against the bottom of those threads. So your vertical adjustment is changed by the amount of the backlash in those threads when you lock that adjustment down. That, combined with angular changes in the orientation of that thumb nut (it is going to tilt when the lock nut is loose and straighten out when that nut is tightened) makes it just a bad design. My holder does not use a large diameter thumb nut or a lock nut so it completely avoids those problems. But it does hold the vertical adjustment that you set. By the way, this makes the vertical adjustment a lot faster as you just adjust and go - no locking is needed.

It is rock solid. And with a ONE HAND tool change that does not require any tools, you can not find any QC tool post that has a faster change time. Grab the locking handle and lift up and the tool holder is off. Hold the new holder by the locking handle and drop it on the post. Then CONTINUE the downward motion to lock it in place. One smooth motion to remove it and one smooth motion to mount a new holder. Nothing can be faster.

FAST! ACCURATELY REPEATABLE! AND SOLID AS A ROCK! What more do you want?

See post #9 above.

The only real drawback is you have to make it instead of just buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by dalee100 View Post
    Hi,

The only way you will ever get less than =/-.001" is to have turret mounted changer on your cnc lathe. Even a Multifix isn't quite that good.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Coincidentally, there was just a thread about QC tool posts on the Logan email group.

One poster made the point that a QC post on a smaller machine has some real issues. His issue was that on any such machine, Logan, Atlas, SB, the toolpost has to be set such that the toolholder is actually NOT over the compound, bit beside it. There is not enough room above the compound that the tool holder can be over the compound and still get the tool on-center. That is certainly true of Logan, not sure about the others. The Logan has a relatively high compound.

So, there is, with the QXTP, a "couple", or torque, applied to the compound by the tool being most of an inch to the side of the compound.

Makes sense, particularly with respect to parting off, and certain other tasks. With any other style of toolpost, there is no issue being able to get the tool on-center, and also having the tool put the cutting force directly down onto the compound, as opposed to having it hang off the side of the compound.

Any comments on that?

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan