Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bore Scope Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    I suppose it all depends on the level of image clarity needed or desired for the intended purpose that you think you will be using it on. If you think you need to make large high resolution images or videos then my suggestion probably won't apply.
    I my case and for my expected uses those were requirements that did not apply to me. All I want to see is what the problem is before digging into the guts of whatever I happen to be working on. I did not expect to use it much but it has actually come in very handy now on numerous occasions.

I spent a grand total of $6.88 CDN. for an Ebay borescope that is 7mm in diameter and 2 meters long, although longer ones are available. It has the capability to look sideways with the use of the supplied attachment, it has variable intensity LED lighting and the supplied software allows you to capture both stills and video. I use it with an older Win 7 laptop that I use in the shop a lot because it has a lot of diagnostic and engine management software on it so image size and clarity is adequate for my needs. The borescope connects via a usb interface.

Like I say the images are definitely not high end Nikon or Canon digital camera quality but good enough for my needs to see what I need to see.

A photo below that I snapped when diagnosing a customer's 1200cc Sportster. From what he told me of the events preceding his breakdown and the attempt to start it afterwards, coupled with a quick look at the spark plugs lead me to believe that his engine had incurred the damage caused by detonation. A quick look-see with the borescope confirmed my suspicions as it clearly shows the damage incurred near a valve relief pocket. You can clearly see that a portion of the upper top ring land has broken away from the piston revealing the top compression ring! The second cylinder showed similar damage. It was all I needed to confirm my diagnosis. A saved pic on the laptop showed the customer that he needed to dig a little deeper before expecting to ride again.

That's not a bad picture. With that kind of detail I should be able to see what I'm looking for in the tank. I'm thinking of all the other things I could use it for. In spark plug holes as you did, in spindles or arbors to check threads,
    plumbing uses, fishing wires down a wall...... etc.
    Can you provide a link to the one you bought??

JL................

Joe unfortunately I can't leave you a link to the exact one I purchased. It has been too long for it to show up in my Ebay purchase history since that only goes back to the start of 2017 and I think I purchased mine in 2016 or possibly 2015. However I can give you a link to a very similar model. Maybe I'm wrong but they all seem to be generic at this price point.

Have a look around, this guy has a few options available in the drop down selection tab. I forget exactly which model I selected other than the 7mm x 2m one, probably not the industrial model he has listed and of course prices have changed a little in the last 3 or 4 years but still not a big deal at this level.
    At this price level it is almost disposable item but so far I'm still using it. Although there was one time I was ready to sip the cord and write it off.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1M-15M-Andro...SWqw5_8LzNx3pw
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

No problem Willy, this link will do just fine. Now I know what I'm looking for. I'll do a little research. The price is right, even for a one time use it would be worth it.
    I like the idea that it can be used with an Android phone.

TNX..... JL................

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Joe unfortunately I can't leave you a link to the exact one I purchased. It has been too long for it to show up in my Ebay purchase history since that only goes back to the start of 2017 and I think I purchased mine in 2016 or possibly 2015. However I can give you a link to a very similar model. Maybe I'm wrong but they all seem to be generic at this price point.

Have a look around, this guy has a few options available in the drop down selection tab. I forget exactly which model I selected other than the 7mm x 2m one, probably not the industrial model he has listed and of course prices have changed a little in the last 3 or 4 years but still not a big deal at this level.
    At this price level it is almost disposable item but so far I'm still using it. Although there was one time I was ready to sip the cord and write it off.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1M-15M-Andro...SWqw5_8LzNx3pw
    The issue I see with this one and all the other ones I've looked at that are similar..... and there are about 10K plus listed on ebay is the end behind the camera is squared off which means it could get hung up somewhere when trying to pull the thing out of a hole, or in my case the gas tank filler tube. The back of it should be tapered. I suppose I could make a plastic cone to go behind it. It would have to be made in two pieces as I won't be able to get it over the plug.

JL..................

Quote Originally Posted by JoeLee View Post
    the end behind the camera is squared off which means it could get hung up somewhere when trying to pull the thing out of a hole
    The ledge is very small on mine and is hasn't proven to be a problem - so far. Careful application of 1/2 width electrical tape followed by full width tape would correct it just fine. It could be covered with shrink tube if desired.

I got my borescope off Amazon for about $13 and the cable is just stiff enough to hold its shape nicely. Many lengths are available and I got the 16.5'/5 meters. I did have to try a few different programs to find one I liked. Also, make sure your phone or tablet is USB "OTG" compatible. Most new ones are.

The issue I see with this one and all the other ones I've looked at that are similar..... and there are about 10K plus listed on ebay is the end behind the camera is squared off which means it could get hung up somewhere when trying to pull the thing out of a hole, or in my case the gas tank filler tube. The back of it should be tapered. I suppose I could make a plastic cone to go behind it. It would have to be made in two pieces as I won't be able to get it over the plug.

JL..................
    Yes so very true.
    As I mentioned there was one occasion where I almost had to snip the cable and write it off. No matter how I shook and twisted it, it kept getting hooked on that little ledge. GRRR!
    Only the one time but I have since smoothed out the transition with a wee bit of epoxy.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

I found this one while trying to learn something about these.

https://www.linectrends.com/product/...CABEgKmwfD_BwE

It says that it's for Android, but says it requires 5 vdc via USB. Where does an phone have a USB port?? How is it powered off the phone??

Sensor size, 1/9 inch ??? I'm not familiar with that way of describing a dia.

66 degree viewing angle ? Sounds pretty narrow??

Thoughts??

JL............

My Galaxy S8+ has a USB-C port for input or output. That's what your example appears to have. I don't know what iPhones have now days. I have a wireless type . It connects to the phone or my tablet via WIFI. It has it's own rechargeable battery. The camera end is only 5mm in diameter and the wire is about 18" long. I got it for looking into engines and tight places. I've never needed to look deeper than that. If I need a plumber, I hire a plumber.
    Last edited by CCWKen; 07-06-2019 at 09:16 AM.

Well, that seems like a god idea and a less expensive way out, but I can't imaging having to hold a laptop in one arm while trying to feed the snake with the other hand, especially with only 2 or 3' of snake.

JL................
    Assuming you have a relatively modern smart phone, connect it to that... many models available for next to nothing. Or just buy a used phone -no need for a sim card.

edit : Ah... I see everyone has that figured out above

Joe : If your phone doesn't have a USB or 5V out from that (voltage out is part of the USB spec) , as above, find a bore scope that is wireless and power it from a tiny wall wart. Many solutions.
    Last edited by lakeside53; 07-06-2019 at 09:56 AM.