Thread: OpenOffice program

Default OpenOffice program

Does anyone use this program? It is, or was freeware from Apache. I have used it for several years and really liked it as a free sub for MS Office, but now it seems to be screwed up. The spreadsheet works, but it won't print. Tried to contact Apache but got no info about the program. It looks like it is no longer supported, or has been replaced with something for sale.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

I use Open Office at home and sometimes at work. I had been using the Apache version but had some issues a while back. It seemed to me that Apache wasn't putting much effort into it.

It's also available from Libre and that's the version I now use. https://www.libreoffice.org/

There may be a few minor differences between the two versions, but it's the same stuff. Libre has frequent updates and it interfaces with MS Word much better. Haven't had a problem since I switched.
    George

Thanks George, I will give Libre a try. I can't get the open office spreadsheet to print right.

Lewis Grizzard

I have not used libreOffice, but openoffice has been unable to cope with, and generally not compatible with the Microsoft products. So it is fine as long as you are using it in isolation, but not too good if used with MS Office.

This showed up most for me with Excel, but some parts of Word were also not compatible.

Most of the very basic stuff usually worked compatibly.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I've been using open office for over 15 years. Never had a problem. Made and printed a few spreadsheets yesterday.

The problem I was having with OpenOffice was with printing the spreadsheet. I couldn't get the page to scale down to where it would print the whole thing on one sheet. I installed Libre, opened the same file, and it printed it one one sheet. Thank you again George.

Lewis Grizzard

For those of us on Linux, Libreoffice has been the default office suite for most distros for a number of years. For the most part, it just keeps getting better!

Bob

I also have been using Libre for years, but have sometimes been using the Google online stuff too. Google Sheets is nearly identical to Excel & Libre, but you can easily share them too.

https://www.wps.com/

previously kingston office

Works great!