Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cad Suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by QSIMDO View Post
    Thank you SO much for posting that!
    I've tried to learn through other videos but they all present the "hard" way and none of those terms make any sense.
    This looks so simple and paves the way in!
    Lars is a fantastic teacher. I know several people that learned fusion with his videos and they all rave about his videos. Be sure and look at all his beginner videos.

Fusion360 all the way, and Lars is a good teacher. I learned with Solidworks, then switched to Fusion. I have access to SolidWorks again but I can't stand it anymore after getting used to Fusion.
    It should be a sticky on this forum, Don't know which cad to use? Fusion360, and Lars' videos.

Hi,

Fusion is good, price is right and it's well supported. Con it does require some decent computer specs to get it to run smoothly. I always find the calling home and updating to be slow and tedious everytime you start it up. it takes a good solid 5 to 10 minutes to update it on my, (admittedly older), computer.

OnShape is as good as Fusion and is also free to hobbyists. Works in your browser so is platform agnostic - Windows, MAC, and Linux all are welcome. All you need is either Chrome or Firefox browsers to run it. Takes a whole lot less computer than Fusion, I can run it on my Chromebook without issue. Updates are painless and you never see them done because they are done elsewhere and not on your box. Also has an App for Android and iPhones to access and edit drawings from anywhere and anytime. Downside is that it requires an internet connection. There is no off-line mode.

The only other free 3d modeling cad I've used is FreeCAD. Still pretty beta feeling but is getting better. I think they do some unconventional things that make it more difficult to learn than either Fusion or OnShape. They have different thought process going on. But it is free as in beer and totally stand-alone.
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

I have been using Tinkercad for around 2 months now. It is owned by Autodesk but was actually created to start kids of the 12-14 year age group into the 3d world. The learning curve is very quick. There are some things it doesn’t do easily but most things it is very quick at.

I use Solidwork through a student/instructor version. It's rather spendy for private/commercial use, but it has the advantage of industry penetration and vast libraries of fasteners, small commodity parts, etc that you can download into Solidworks and they just call out in your design. eg, you need a capscrew in your assembly? Download/subscribe/etc to a library of standard fasteners and you just call out that you're going to use said fastener at that point, or at that point rotated X degrees around a circle and whammo, Solidworks just lays them all in there.

For free/low price? I'd look at Fusion 360.

Fusion has a direct link to the McMaster catalog. Any hardware that McMaster sells the 3d cad will insert into your drawing. Pretty much same as you describe with solidworks but the "library" is a direct link to McMasters cad library. Fusion knew their main competitor would be solidworks so they sure it would compete well or better.

Many got Solidworks though a special deal with the EAA. (experimental aircraft assn.) EAA members can get a full solidworks for $35 and EAA membership is very cheap. Its not free but pretty cheap if someone wants it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky_NY View Post
    Fusion has a direct link to the McMaster catalog. Any hardware that McMaster sells the 3d cad will insert into your drawing. Pretty much same as you describe with solidworks but the "library" is a direct link to McMasters cad library. Fusion knew their main competitor would be solidworks so they sure it would compete well or better.

Many got Solidworks though a special deal with the EAA. (experimental aircraft assn.) EAA members can get a full solidworks for $35 and EAA membership is very cheap. Its not free but pretty cheap if someone wants it.
    Thats how I got Solidworks, only to find out for my needs, that Fusion surpassed it.

[QUOTE=Sparky_NY;1245981]Fusion has a direct link to the McMaster catalog. Any hardware that McMaster sells the 3d cad will insert into your drawing. Pretty much same as you describe with solidworks but the "library" is a direct link to McMasters cad library. QUOTE]

Plus several hundred other manufacturers and vendors.

Yep, Fusion is free for hobbyists......................the problem may be Autodesk is an evil company. You can bet, one of these days you'll try to fire up Fusion and it won't run without payment.

Autodesk has a history of these kind of tricks. They aren't stupid, there's a reason they want to get lots and lots of "hooked" users. Alibre did something like this too, they gave away their CAD, then tried to charge for updates (Alibre got some of my money until the updates got into the hundreds of dollars)

I use Fusion occasionally when my for-pay CAD won't as easily fillet as Fusion.

Quote Originally Posted by DR View Post
    Yep, Fusion is free for hobbyists......................the problem may be Autodesk is an evil company. You can bet, one of these days you'll try to fire up Fusion and it won't run without payment.

Autodesk has a history of these kind of tricks. They aren't stupid, there's a reason they want to get lots and lots of "hooked" users. Alibre did something like this too, they gave away their CAD, then tried to charge for updates (Alibre got some of my money until the updates got into the hundreds of dollars)

I use Fusion occasionally when my for-pay CAD won't as easily fillet as Fusion.
    I wouldn't care if one day Autodesk charged me 500$ per year to use it. This day will not happen until they kill off Solidworks. Much like China changing the culture in Hong Kong by sending mainlanders to the island, Autodesk is slowly changing the culture in industry. Train everyone to use your software, guess what people will request at work to use? And there is another thing going on that makes me think this day will not come. Autodesk Inventor is the industrial 3d cad package they market to industry, Fusion does everything that does, but is free. Don't want the cloud? Buy Inventor.