Thread: Pressure washer accident

Default Pressure washer accident

A week or so ago I told of a hot water pressure washer burner not shutting off when the flow of water stops.
    Well it happened again tonight, totally different washer.
    I was cleaning some parts and walked by the washer and it was smoking, I turned the burner off and took off running to the other end of 100í hose. That probably saved me from getting scalded with steam. Before I got to the wand to start cooling the system down the hose exploded and steam went every where. I was lucky I wasnít right there when she blew.
    I will figure out why it didnít shut down the burner like it should of tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That doesn't look like a high-temp hose either. What is that wrap, vinyl? You're lucky to have skin left. Those high pressure, high temp cleaners are not worth a life trying to cobble something together.

It also looks like the steel braid rusted and weakened, as well as oil or something got to the outer jacket. It should be stainless.

JL.............

Wow - that was some serious energy let loose! That could have cooked you to the bone.

In these days of manufacturers being hit with product liability suits, you'd think that the washer makers would have designed in some backup protection. Something as simple and reliable as a rupture disk. That's something that you could easily add.

The hose was proper high pressure hose rated for hot water. The problem was Both safety’s failed and the burner didn’t shut off when it should of. I could see there was a problem, I just couldn’t get it cooled down in time. I shut the burner off but it was too late, I was running for the wand to get some flow when she blew. If it blew 5 seconds sooner I would have been right there.

Quote Originally Posted by true temper View Post
    The hose was proper high pressure hose rated for hot water. The problem was Both safetyís failed and the burner didnít shut off when it should of. I could see there was a problem, I just couldnít get it cooled down in time. I shut the burner off but it was too late, I was running for the wand to get some flow when she blew. If it blew 5 seconds sooner I would have been right there.
    The best experience is what doesn't kill or maim you. That's what we say in aviation anyhow.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    The best experience is what doesn't kill or maim you. That's what we say in aviation anyhow.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Or sometimes it's better to be lucky than good!
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Or sometimes it's better to be lucky than good!
    "Lucky works while you sleep, good goes home in a body bag three days short of his DEROS",,,,,,,heard a Gunny say that when I first hit the ground in S.E. Asia in December of 1965, he may have been right.

Glad the OP wasn't hurt, one of my brothers was too close to a radiator hose that blew on a Porche 914 he had stuffed a Chevy 350 V8 into, scalded his arm very bad. And that most likely was no where near as high a temp or steam pressure as that pressure washer.
    Steve
    NRA Life Member

Good reason to have your safety relief valve checked or replaced every so often.