Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ring roller

There's a dog-leg in the handle. Look closely and follow the edge.

Added: Ops, I didn't finish reading your post. or took too long to type.

Quote Originally Posted by darryl View Post
    I've always just rolled extra length and cut the misshapen ends off.
    Now that is a good idea.

I've seen videos where they prebend the starting edge by clamping it in the pinch rolls and forcing it around the top roll. A little bit of by guess or by golly but it worked. If you have a ring roller you can prebend around a round bar or the horn of an anvil. But of course the easiest is just roll a few extra inches and cut it off.

Quote Originally Posted by DR View Post
    Yes, there is a way to eliminate the flat.

A customer brought an expensive piece of micro perforated stainless to be rolled into a circle. By expensive, I mean well over a thousand bucks for a piece that was roughly 8" x 8". When the guy ordered the material he specified one of the dimensions to be exactly the perimeter of the circle he needed, no allowance for the typical flats you get with a slip roll. He had been all over town, nobody wanted to touch the job. Perforated material is worse than solid to roll so that further complicated things.

I accepted the job being pretty sure I could do it, but no guarantee.

I did it on my Di Acro 12" slip roll machine. It took about a minute to complete using an idea I had seen in an old text using only two rolls of the machine.

The way was to put as thick as possible sheet of relatively hard urethane (80A durometer) under his piece and roll. The urethane forces the material to wrap the upper roll. You keep rolling and adjusting roll spacing until the ends come together in a perfect circle. Most slip can't do this since the two rolls won't spread apart far enough to accomodate the urethane under the work piece (the Di Acro's will).
    Yes,that does infact work very well.I did similar on some thin Aluminum perf metal where the customer didn't want any scratches or scuffs on the parts.The roller diameter on the rolls I was using was 1-7/8".I took the end bearing frame off the end of the rolls,slipped a section of 2" ID rubber air hose over it and reinstalled the end frame.
    The result worked flawlessly and the bending roll wasn't even needed.One other advantage is with the rubber providing a cushion,lap joints can be rolled without fear of roller damage.

There are also commercial rollers that use just two rolls,one steel and driven on top and the other just a large Urethane roller on bottom.Arcotech makes a nice one-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haiX52sPMgk
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Quote Originally Posted by Ironwoodsmith View Post
    I've seen videos where they prebend the starting edge by clamping it in the pinch rolls and forcing it around the top roll. A little bit of by guess or by golly but it worked. If you have a ring roller you can prebend around a round bar or the horn of an anvil. But of course the easiest is just roll a few extra inches and cut it off.
    The stuff I roll at work is generally 11gauge to 1/2" thick,we usually have to make several passes to get the radius we need.Most times we make the bend in stages reversing the workpiece each pass through the rolls.This does a fairly good job of minimizing the flat.

Quote Originally Posted by wierdscience View Post
    There are also commercial rollers that use just two rolls,one steel and driven on top and the other just a large Urethane roller on bottom.Arcotech makes a nice one-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haiX52sPMgk
    That's cool. They use the table as the 3rd point - I wonder if there is a roller on the edge of the table.

Edit: I checked their site & there's no roller.

I was thinking that using a table, or just an edge, would be simpler for a HSM roller, but realized that with such an arrangement you lose the ability to do the back-and-forth rolling to zero in on the diameter.
    Last edited by Bob Engelhardt; 07-07-2019 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
    That's cool. They use the table as the 3rd point - I wonder if there is a roller on the edge of the table.

Edit: I checked their site & there's no roller.

I was thinking that using a table, or just an edge, would be simpler for a HSM roller, but realized that with such an arrangement you lose the ability to do the back-and-forth rolling to zero in on the diameter.
    Bob,the beauty of the design is that it features just two rollers and depends on the elasticity of the urethane for forming.For a roller intended for light gauge material,the design couldn't be any simpler.

How many of these hose reels are you going to make? You could easily and inexpensively build a simple lever type bender for 12mm rod. It isn't like the rolls have to be to NASA tolerances for a hose reel.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Forest View Post
    How many of these hose reels are you going to make? You could easily and inexpensively build a simple lever type bender for 12mm rod. It isn't like the rolls have to be to NASA tolerances for a hose reel.
    I was going to make a prototype and see if I could find a market for them .Please tell me more about a lever type bender.

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    I was going to make a prototype and see if I could find a market for them .Please tell me more about a lever type bender.
    He might be referring to a pipe hickey.