Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Comfort Tools, not really OT

Default I am working in another long deceased fellow.s shop.

I only ever met the fellow once, briefly, some 35 yrs or more ago when he demonstrated starting early gas engines at the Ontario Science Centre to a group of local model engineers.
    I am now attached to his daughter , live in what was his home, what remained of his shop at home has been integrated with the tools I brought with me.
    I do not have his mikes and verniers, they went to a nephew, but I have lots of other tools and material that were in the shop.
    Maybe it sounds strange, but at times I feel he is watching over me and encouraging me to do the very best I know how, especially when using tools which were his.
    Regards to all, David Powell.

In 72 I bought my first tools. A 6 point MAC metric socket set , 6 mm thru 19mm. I have lost 1 or 2 due to lending out and they replaced with one's that don't quite look right, or feel right. My buddy Rick lost the 12mmm replaced it with a different one, which is annoying, but it often makes me think of him as I use it.. he passed away a decade ago..
    At the time I got it I was 15, could not afford the ratchet, so I used a sliding breaker bar for a few years .

Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    ... But it will not last long. Not like the old heavy plug
    in drill. ...
    Quite right. But lasting long is not all that it's cracked up to be. In 1956 I got a Black & Decker 3/8" aluminum body drill (that was when B&D meant something). It still works as new & I still have it, but only as a keepsake. It is single speed and not reversible. It's obsolete.

I had some nice Makita NiCad drills. I threw them away long before they were worn out because they were obsoleted by lithium ion. I expect that my lithium ion tools will be obsoleted before they wear out, even if the wearing out is much faster than it used to be.

Ah memories. In the service being trained as a fire control mechanic (B52) and having reached the point of being allowed
    a class a pass, weekends were spent anywhere off base. Denver was very interesting to a young person interested in
    mechanical things, one of which were railroads. I found the local hobby shop was on the way to Union Station and a good
    place to hang out. Mil pay was very little at that time and bus fare and food used most of it up. However a nice little 3" General
    fixed beam square just had to go with me in my journey thru life. I still have and use it to this day some 60 years on.
    I have my Dads B&D aluminum pistol drill still works fine. I'll never forget the time I first used it about 1957. I was attempting my
    first drilled hole in metal. Dad came up behind me and said push it. Don't baby it. To this day that is unforgettable advice.
    Ah memories.
    RichD
    Last edited by livesteam; 07-06-2019 at 11:00 PM.

I have a lot of my dads tools now, and when I pick one up to use I think of where it came from, and the circumstances of it's acquision. Dad had a lot of drill bits, taps, brace and bits, hand powered drills, pliers- all of this stuff was of good quality. It feels good to use something that works well, is accurately made, and feels solid. That's what makes me smile, and also makes me recall the tools that dad had that I ruined- the marking gauge which I used as a hammer, the pliers that I left in the driveway and didn't find til spring, the tape measure where I 'fixed' the loose end-

I learned a lot from my dad, and I'll smile when I use a technique that he taught me. That's a tool too, the ways and means of how to do something.

Aside from that, as far as an actual tool that just feels good to have in your hand- it has to be the old Brown and Sharp micrometer.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Not exactly a tool, but I bought my Casio digital watch in 1979, that's 40 years ago. Its the one with the marlin on the front and the five year battery. As I write this, the watch is 1 second slow since being reset when the clocks went forward. When the light is right, a crack can be seen bisecting the face from right to left and my name is deeply engraved on the back making it valueless to anyone else.

Ah yes, my B&D drill bought about 50 years ago and in almost weekly use for the last 30 with a wire cup brush in place of chuck with low overhang that I wore down to 1/8 in. Last year I finally found a new in box replacement brush, even better though cost over twice what I originally paid for the drill. I also found a plastic body version being given away as nobody wants a single speed/direction mains drill.

I would check the state of the wiring on any pre double insulated tools before continuing to use them. I had a new B&D D720 back in the late sixties, and happened to take the side cover off the handle about 20 years later and was shocked to find that the insulation was rock hard and crumbling. It got binned straight away.

Most of what is being talked about are memories triggered by an object, which is all fine and good....but its the memories not the object that counts and are the source of the comfort. I have a few tools I guess that trigger those positive memories, but sans a memory, just the actual tools themselves, what gives me comfort is the joy and pleasure of using the right high quality tool for the task at hand while basking in the warm glow of knowing I didn't have to pay too much for them. Better still is using ones I consider high quality that I made myself
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 07-08-2019 at 09:50 AM.

I like your comments Mcgyver.
    Funny thing is, many folks here feel just the opposite,

What gives them comfort is the joy and pleasure of using the
    wrong low quality tool for the task at hand while basking in the
    warm glow of knowing they didn't have to pay too much for them.

--Doozer
    DZER