Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Spade drill holder

You are going to make more without trying this one to see how it works ?
    My lathe has 7 hp, and I can bog it with my bigger drills..

Quote Originally Posted by 754 View Post
    You are going to make more without trying this one to see how it works ?
    My lathe has 7 hp, and I can bog it with my bigger drills..
    Iíve already tried the first drill. It was an 1 3/64 spade. It was the largest. It worked ok. Iíd be concerned if it was an 2 inch or larger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Spade drill holder

Iím working on the rest of the spade drills the other 3 are 90% complete. Still need to mill the reliefs and blue them with cold blue. There was 6 spades given to me. The two smaller ones are duplicates, so I will only have 4 drills made up. To make it easier for me Iím stamping the spade size on the drill body so I can ID it quickly.

The first drill was a 1 3/64 drill and I did test it on a piece of steel that had a 1/2 drill hole in it. The spade drill performed like it was supposed to. If I do any more it will be to give me some options up to 1 1/2 inches. My lathe wonít be able to handle much larger drills than that.

Iím working on the video for my channel however I thought Iíd post an updated photo

The finished product on its wall mount.

Maybe trim your brass hammer...
    I don't feel like retelling the story about the guy next door getting a piece lodged in his nutsack.. ..

we always made our own. no big deal. justmake shore the bit is centered on the shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by 754 View Post
    Maybe trim your brass hammer...
    I don't feel like retelling the story about the guy next door getting a piece lodged in his nutsack.. ..
    Actually the hammer isnít mushroomed. This hammer was a coated one that the coating fell off of. I made up a Delrin handle for it, and it hasnít been used that much. In fact I was stamping the sizes on the drill bodies

Quote Originally Posted by bob308 View Post
    we always made our own. no big deal. justmake shore the bit is centered on the shaft.
    Yes the project wasnít that difficult, just not having a one to use as a guide was a challenge. I used a photo and machined one complete first. Then machining the last 3 as a group

Iím releasing the videos on the machining process of the drills and improvements to the process as I went along. Parts 1 and 2 will be the first drill. Part 3 is finishing the rest of the set of 4. Here is part 1
    https://youtu.be/POXeivAV1rY

Spade drills are the way to go if you have the power.
    3" spade through 6 1/8" of annealed 4140 hr, took about 45 minutes, it got a bit steamy however.

Part with the lathe work finished, it took 9 1/2 hours of drilling and setup to remove 75% of the material in a 15" CNC lathe (not nearly a large enough machine), the finished major diameter is 10 3/8", the bore is 5.625" +- .005", also 2 retaining ring grooves on the OD, .125" wide by .187" deep. It now goes into a mill where eight equally spaced 1.531" holes are drilled between the retaining ring grooves, to make it more fun the holes are angled at 5 Degrees in the X axis.