Thread: OT Electronic question Video

Default OT Electronic question Video

I can't seem to get on to Sci.electronic newggroup any longer so here is the only place left to try. :-)
    Is there a way to take a signal FROM a HDMI source and input it to a computer via a USB connector??
    The object is to create a video file for editing and eventually burn to a DVD.
    Thanks for any pointer to other places etc.
    ...lew...

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
    I can't seem to get on to Sci.electronic newggroup any longer so here is the only place left to try. :-)
    Is there a way to take a signal FROM a HDMI source and input it to a computer via a USB connector??
    The object is to create a video file for editing and eventually burn to a DVD.
    Thanks for any pointer to other places etc.
    ...lew...
    You need a video capture card, which is different from a typical video card. Video cameras have their own way of transfering the data, just like a USB thumbstick. If you are planning on ripping data off a blue ray disc from a player, good luck, there's hardware level anti piracy built into everything these days.

You'll want to first make sure the HDMI signal isn't encrypted. Some devices may support decrypting it and providing the video buffer, but the HDMI group is pretty good at sic'ing the FBI on anyone trying to provide/sell such a device...

There are several ways to do what you want. What type of device is providing the source HDMI?
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

OK I guess I should have explained further. It's nothing illegal or immoral. :-) I already have the little "thing" that takes the 3 RCA jacks on a VHS player
    (? AVI ? ) and output the HDMI video to view my old VHS camera tapes I took in the late 1990s . I'd like to put all of those on DVDs now and edit them . Sort of "organize" to add titles, put similar thing together, etc. So the video is just as taped by the camera with some (not very good) sound. I know I need some program to do the editing and that is another question, what is a good free or cheap one. The computer is a Dell laptop so I can't do anything about "Video Cards". Op Sys is Windows 7 Pro. Anything else you need to know.
    This is to save for the following generations all the silly things they did while growing up. :-)
    ...lew...

An RCA to USB capture card will be easier and cheaper than putting HDMI in the middle. Amazon sells some of those cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/USB-2-0-Audio...+rca+ca&sr=8-4

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Lew if the files are for archive purposes and needed for the next generation DVD is not the right media to use. DVD-r disks don't have a long shelf life. 7 to 10 years if you are lucky. Don't believe the hype about how long they last because they don't last long. If the DVD's are replicated they last longer but you won't want to get into doing that for sure. Too expensive. You would be better off to archive the files on real hard drives for longevity and certainly not on thumb drives.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

You can still create the DVD iso image files and write them to big hard drives. Then if you want to share or send the files you can burn a DVD directly from the iso image files and it will play in a DVD player or on a computer but you will have the master files for longevity.

Just get a usb capture device like
    https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity

Quote Originally Posted by Black Forest View Post
    ...it will play in a DVD player or on a computer but you will have the master files for longevity.
    None of my recent computers have a DVD drive so I'm not sure how future proof that is. I'm with the harddisk crowd. Just leave them as mp4 or whatever and don't turn it into an iso. Corruption is then also limited to one file and not the entire iso archive.