Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spade drill holder

What's the purpose of the notches in the one seen in post #16? Is that just equivalent to a roughing end mill? I assume they're offset from one flank to the other.

I guess itís for chips. FYI Iíve started on the first tool today. The photo is my progress so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The notches are chip breakers. They keep the chips in little pieces instead of one long string. Cutting little chips takes less HP than one big wide chip.

Well I finished the first drill holder and tested it. This spade was the largest one 1 3/64. My plan is to make holders for the all the spade drills that I was gifted. It was an adventure but it will make video content. Here is the finished tool after I cold blued it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, you're quick! I would have to spent at least 14 months agonizing over the detials of whatever design I thought up, and then who knows how many months before I actaully got around to trying to make one.

Do you need more than one holder? I figured that part of the idea behind these is that one holder can drill various sized holes depending on which insert you put in it. Do you have inserts that require different sized holders?

Anyhow, Nicely done!

Do these holders have a coolant through hole. Nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by alanganes View Post
    Wow, you're quick! I would have to spent at least 14 months agonizing over the detials of whatever design I thought up, and then who knows how many months before I actaully got around to trying to make one.

Do you need more than one holder? I figured that part of the idea behind these is that one holder can drill various sized holes depending on which insert you put in it. Do you have inserts that require different sized holders?

Anyhow, Nicely done!
    Plus one on that..

nice work! Looking forward to how you find them.

Only suggestion would be to increase the size of the relief/ chip excavation channel. As the body of the drill is about the same size as the tip, you may struggle to clear chips out of deeper holes with the small channel you have. Just going by the commercial ones I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by alanganes View Post

Anyhow, Nicely done!
    Actually Iím planning on making individual holders, the blades are a bit different. Beggars canít be choosers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    Do these holders have a coolant through hole. Nice work.
    No they donít. I made them up to fit my tailstock so I didnít add coolant holes since my lathe doesnít have coolant. I use a mister for coolant as needed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk