Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Spade drill holder

Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    nice work! Looking forward to how you find them.

Only suggestion would be to increase the size of the relief/ chip excavation channel. As the body of the drill is about the same size as the tip, you may struggle to clear chips out of deeper holes with the small channel you have. Just going by the commercial ones I've seen.
    Actually I made the body .100 under the drill. I may find that the chip reliefs may need to be larger, it depends on how deep holes I end up drilling. Hopefully for my use it will work as is. We will see, I was trying to make the body stiff as possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guys Iím working on the videos for this, so it will be a week or two before it hits YouTube. Dang edit and working video is as time consuming as making the first drill

Quote Originally Posted by ncjeeper View Post
    Wow!
    There is a reason that such machine chucks have such aggressive teeth on the jaws, it is difficult to hold the part otherwise. It will push the part right through the 5" spindle bore during such an operation.
    I often have to use a backer to prevent this.

Quote Originally Posted by jdedmon91 View Post
    Actually I made the body .100 under the drill. I may find that the chip reliefs may need to be larger, it depends on how deep holes I end up drilling. Hopefully for my use it will work as is. We will see, I was trying to make the body stiff as possible.

The body need not be that stiff for that length. It's a self centering cutter.
    The whole idea of a spade drill is to fit many sizes on one shank, instead of paying for a long drill bit every time.
    What size Morse taper are you putting on the end ?

Quote Originally Posted by jdedmon91 View Post

Makes sense, not like you can't modify it or make a new one if it doesn't work out the way you want!

754 itís a MT 3 for my Grizzly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice job. I knew you could do it!

Thanks Toolguy. I know it was doable. What I was hoping for was someone who had done it and maybe some drawings. Now Iím going to make up ones for the rest of the blades, none of them are the same so I have to machine separate holders.

Just make one with the slot for the thickest spade, the shim the rest.
    Making a holder for each is completely against the reason to use spade drills.

You mY not eve like them, your machine may not willingly make use of them.
    So try one out. In steel..

I could do that, however I want the convenience of grabbing the drill size I want. So Iíll just machine up the set.