Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT- Removing Old Linoleum Flooring

Default OT- Removing Old Linoleum Flooring

I have to remove 35 year old linoleum sheet flooring from a plywood subfloor. Using a scraper, the top layer of the flooring peeled up fairly easy, but left the bottom of the flooring and of course the adhesive. And it's stubborn! So far, the only thing I have found to ease the pain os laying a very wet towel on an area and scrape, it does seem the soften it. But it's slow and spotty, some small areas remain. Luckily, this isn't a huge room, but if someone has a better idea, I sure would like to hear it.

I went through the same thing this past winter. Most of my tiles were loose to begin with and the rest popped loose pretty easy.
    What was left behind was the adhesive. It was dried out and rock hard. Fortunately for me I was able to sand it off down to the plywood with an 8" orbital sander. It never gummed up the sand paper because it was so dried out. If your glue is still somewhat gummy and you can't sand it you might try steaming it.

JL...................

I did a 6x8 powder room this winter, I gave up and cut up the top layer of sub-floor they installed to bring up the sheet goods to the level of the Hardwood floor in the adjacent room. Re-installed new sub floor, laid down new vinyl sheet flooring.

Mine was above an unfinished basement so I was able to simply pour lots of water on it without worrying about the consequences. Do be aware that tile of that age may contain asbestos, so take appropriate precautions. (The water also keeps down any dust.)
    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

I have a concrete slab floor, removed the old linoleum, and mostly it was done with the adhesive remover.
    It is sold at Lowes or HomeDespot, it a liquid that softens the old glue, it did well.
    I tried water and steam to remove the old glue, and I didnt get much from that.
    The adhesive remover from the store was much better.

I wonder if one of those sawzall scrapper attachments would help.

Heat.

Cold, as in dry ice, or you can rent a tile remover, a larger occillating blade that you push foreward. There are soy based adhesive removers that are safer to use for cleanup. Biggest concern is asbestos. If it is present, it is not a do-it-yourself project. There is danger to bystanders as well. I used to be certified in asbestos abatement, about 20 years ago,I no longer do it as I do not have all the gear, and I'm afraid of what I might have forgoten.

I used a belt sander with heavy paper on it. Removed a linoleum square tile floor and a slate floor that was put down with grout. It is going to be dusty. I hook a vacuum up to the sander.

Did that to 3 rooms a few years ago. Water helped. I used a power tool with a scraper blade. This one-
    https://www.harborfreight.com/power-...ool-63113.html

I hired the replacement and he sanded the floor lightly and filled the low spots with spackle.