Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Why 68 Deg. for inspection

Quote Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
    Do you routinely give the mass of common objects in units of (pound) * (second) * (second) / (foot)?

Great. Show me how easy it is to convert pound-feet to any common imperial unit of energy.
    It's apparent that the answer to my question "Do you know anything about dimensional analysis?" is
    "What's dimensional analysis?".

When I use the foot,second, pound, slug units I give the mass of common objects in slugs. I would do the same for uncommon objects.

I don't quite understand why you keep asking these questions. It seems to me that this imperial system which you insist is so inferior is actually something of an unknown entity to you.

Foot pound, or pound foot, IS a common imperial unit of energy.
    Last edited by cameron; 07-12-2019 at 02:00 PM.

I love the way these discussions degenerate into rows, its just as well the rest of the world lives out of range of the average USA citizens guns, or we be in for it.
    It must be so hard for people in the USA to understand shows like Star Trek as they are metricised.

No, you metric lovers don't get that we do understand the metric system we just don't want to use it.

If Star Trek was real they wouldn't use the metric system either, they would have some Federation approved system probably based on the distance travelled by a beam of light over a fortnight. Spock would approve.

Your right about the guns though they would shoot you but for a different reason.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Quote Originally Posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
    Miles. Miles have a definite relation to yards, feet, and inches.
    A mile is an excellent measure. 1000 paces (1 mille) of a Roman Legionaire. I've checked my pace and it is darned close. Makes me want to wear a skirt and carry a sword.

Why did the force of gravity in the metric systeme have to be 9.81 for crying out loud? Since the metre was arbitrarily wrong in the first place, why wasn't it adjusted to make gravity a TEN like all the other wonderful tens in metric? Or come up with a metric time slice to make it a ten?

Pounds is force ,slugs is mass. Kilograms is mass (supposedly), Newtons is force. A bathroom scale measures FORCE. How many blokes tell their weight in Newtons. More likely to hear it in Stones.

Like others here, I find the two measurement systems equivalent in functionality. Usage depends on the task at hand.
    Bill Pendergrass
    Rotec RM-1 w/Rusnok head
    Atlas TH42 QC10

Quote Originally Posted by old mart View Post
    I love the way these discussions degenerate into rows, its just as well the rest of the world lives out of range of the average USA citizens guns, or we be in for it.
    It must be so hard for people in the USA to understand shows like Star Trek as they are metricised.
    Actually thats why these things aggravate me so much -- I've seen dozens if not hundreds of *the exact same dispute* over the years and they all follow the same pattern. They never solve anything, if indeed anything needs to be solved. Some people simply enjoy a good fight, much like mud wrestling with a pig. I try to avoid those, because life's too short already.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
    .... *the exact same dispute* over the years and they all follow the same pattern. They never solve anything,......
    Some people simply enjoy a good fight, much like mud wrestling with a pig.
    You're right of course, but I'm not sure "enjoy" is the right word. I think many are powerless to let issues like this rest. It starts on the play ground in first grade.

Could be some people get all bent out of shape about it and some of us enjoy egging them on.

One of life's simple pleasures.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Quote Originally Posted by loose nut View Post
    Could be some people get all bent out of shape about it and some of us enjoy egging them on.

One of life's simple pleasures.
    I have to admit that it bugs me when the metric folks assume an air of smug superiority. And then go and start $#!t over it..... Instead of replying I usually just let it ride. After all, THEY are the new kids on the block -- the imperial system was established in ancient Roman times and has been used successfully ever since. Trade with the rest of the world ? Why do we care about that? This isn't practical machinist, this is home shop machinist.

As far as egging others on, or being egged on, just NOPE. seeya. I lost that habit back in high school and prefer to leave it there.
    Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 07-13-2019 at 10:28 AM.

The inch, foot, yard furlong, mile and so on are all British measurements, metric measurements are of French origin, is there anything at all which originated in the USA?

Quote Originally Posted by old mart View Post
    The inch, foot, yard furlong, mile and so on are all British measurements, metric measurements are of French origin, is there anything at all which originated in the USA?
    No, over here, in Canada as well as the U.S., we're pretty happy with most of the old British measurements.

No need to reinvent the wheel, as they say.

Shouldn't forget the herring barrel, the herring tub, the salt cart and the salt tub (also called the sand barrel), though. They may have been made in Newfoundland, can't say for sure.
    Last edited by cameron; 07-13-2019 at 02:18 PM.