Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken sliding glass door

Default Broken sliding glass door

The guy I had running the weed trimmer caught a rock and took out our sliding glass patio door. Is this a DIY option, or do I bite the bull it and call the glass guy.
    Hopefully the glass can be replaced, so I donít have to buy a complete new door.
    What is your experiences.

I have an American Craftsman patio door I got from Home Depot about 10 years ago for under $300. A few years ago the outer layer of double pane glass started cracking and eventually broke completely (with a little help). The entire sliding door was about $100, and now it is $135. I've been planning to replace it for a while, but my round tuit is missing, and the door still works OK although it is no longer insulated.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/American...55MA/205626717

Mine, winter 2016:

Window and door failures should be looked into with the manufacturer as soon as possible.
    Two cases
    - I had a window sash lose its seal after 10 years or so. Turns out it was guaranteed for 15 years... all I had to do was get the size/etc info, send it to the manufacturer, two weeks later I had a new sash and popped it in. (These were Harvey windows).

- At a vacation condo we own, a large number of the sliding glass doors lost their seals after about 30 years ... well out of warranty. Andersen replaced them all, even the ones that did not fail, for the cost of the labor.

So the two experiences I’ve had have been great ... so follow up on it, you might win.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by fjk View Post
    Window and door failures should be looked into with the manufacturer as soon as possible.
    Two cases
    - I had a window sash lose its seal after 10 years or so. Turns out it was guaranteed for 15 years... all I had to do was get the size/etc info, send it to the manufacturer, two weeks later I had a new sash and popped it in. (These were Harvey windows).

- At a vacation condo we own, a large number of the sliding glass doors lost their seals after about 30 years ... well out of warranty. Andersen replaced them all, even the ones that did not fail, for the cost of the labor.

So the two experiences Iíve had have been great ... so follow up on it, you might win.

Frank
    I had a similar experience with a GE glass top stove,purchased from HH Gregg which went bankrupt. I figured I was just completely out of luck on any sort of warranty (extended type) repair. But at the suggestion of a member here I did some more extensive investigation and ended up getting it fixed at no additional cost.*
    * - that was the one purchase I've made and elected to buy the extended warranty.

Shouldn't this be on the Home and Flower Site?

Does the weed whacker guy carry insurance?

-Doozer
    DZER

Hi,

Depends, a single pane would be cheaper to repair I think. But a gas filled double pane like what I have, it was cheaper to replace the whole door than replace, (don't ask how I know - there were famous last words involved....)

Doozer is correct, your weedwhacker dude SHOULD have insurance if he's a legit business.
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

What did the monkey say when he pee'd on top of the cash register --- ?

This is going to run into allot of money...

I think it depends on the door - some are integral with the glass and some are just a double window panel that you can buy separately... so the question is, is what do you have?

If your's is just a standard glass piece surrounded by a separate door then you can get the panels for very reasonable in fact it's what my brother used to build his solar gain sun room was just a bunch of door window panels...

I had no idea Flylo could shoot all the way to Kansas.

Guy has no insurance but offered to pay for damages. It could of happened to anyone I will pay for it.
    The glass guy was here today said it would run about 400 $ I told him to get after it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk