Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OT- Plastic Question

Quote Originally Posted by Bented View Post
    If a hdpe container is not relatively clear when holding a dairy product it is likely due to a coating on the inside specific to dairy product production and packaging regulations, it may also be simply UV protection.
    Interesting.
    Having led the dairy packaging engineering group for the largest producer in the US in the 90's, plus with a different company later, designing and installing a large portion of milk bottle molds and production machinery in the UK, I can't say I have ever heard of internal coatings being applied to HDPE or PP dairy containers for consumer packaging. Cost would be prohibitive. Mixing something in at the extruder is possible certainly, but that would not be a 'coating'.

I HAVE heard of blowmolding HDPE containers with fluorine (instead of air) which turns the inside surface into PTFE (Teflon) but that is for chemical resistance of wicked contents, not dairy.

There are special structures for 'shelf stable' retorted non-refrigerated food storage (think Parmalat milk for example, but in plastic bottle vs box) but they are a multilayer sandwich with the magic dust in the middle plus a lot of colorant to make the package block light that would harm the contents,

This layer method could put a special layer on the inside of a container but the root question is WHY? HDPE solves all the basic needs for refrigerated or frozen dairy packaging by itself.
    Last edited by rzbill; 07-12-2019 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Spellin'
    Bill Pendergrass
    Rotec RM-1 w/Rusnok head
    Atlas TH42 QC10

Quote Originally Posted by Bented View Post
    If a hdpe container is not relatively clear when holding a dairy product it is likely due to a coating on the inside specific to dairy product production and packaging regulations, it may also be simply UV protection.
    My first response was to shout rubbish! But that's a little unkind...
    HDPE is a crystalline polymer and naturally opaque due to the crystallinity. That's it.

And to the OPs question, it's absolutely fine. HDPE is very inert, and the medium of choice for large portable potable water storage.
    Go right ahead.

How about something like this: https://www.protank.com/ibc-tote-tan...nt=ibc%20totes
    I see these type of containers as well as used food grade barrels/drums/tanks being sold on Craigslist all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by rws View Post
    I want to reuse plastic 1 gallon jugs distilled water came in for water storage. My wife says they won't last and will eventually leak. These have the recycle symbol with a "2 hdpe". Will they last? They won't be in sunlight.
    Yes they will last a very long time. I have some emergent water supply jugs that are exactly that, originally distilled water refilled with tap water and a table spoon of bleach. Been good for ten years now. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info