Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mighty Mag, Deceptive Advertising Or What

Default Mighty Mag, Deceptive Advertising Or What

A friend that I worked with in a shop had one of these about 10 years ago. I thought it was kind of handy since you didn't have to deal with rods and snug clamps.
    He always complained that the chips would collect around the magnet and it was a pain to remove them, it was also sometimes hard to pull the magnet from a surface and if you didn't watch your fingers when you set it down you could get pinched, the sudden snap didn't do an expensive dial any good either. One day he got PO at it and tossed it. I was going to grab it out of the trash but figured if he didn't like it neither would I.

So, ten years later I decided to get one after seeing the one advertised as having the quick release. The company website didn't give any detail on the quick release one and all the pics I found just showed a lever on the side. So, I called the company and spoke to some woman. I asked how the lever deal worked and if you put the lever on the V hole side how do you hold the rod in the hole?, she didn't really know what I was talking about or how to explain how it worked. She said that you could remove the lever and place it on the other side if you wanted to. I'm even more confused.
    Somehow I was envisioning that there was some rod that ran through the thing the moved the inner magnet so you could release it. I thought that there was maybe some cam deal on the back of the lever. I was thinking of all kinds of ways it could work.
    So come to find out, the lever is nothing more than a rocker type pry bar. Sure you can mount it on the other side but because the screw hole is higher on that side the bottom of the lever doesn't touch the surface that the magnet contacts. Totally worthless to put it on that side. Glad I didn't pay much for it.

It works on this side as you can see the lobe extends below the magnet base, but..... now you can't use the V hole because the lever is mounted in the hole that the knob would go into to hold a rod. If I do decide to use it I'll have to file down the end of the screws on the two red knobs other wise they will carve circles in a soft rod.

If you put the lever on the other side the lobe doesn't extend beyond the magnet so it's worthless there.

So, maybe I'll just use it to hold a calendar or tap drill chart to my steel cabinet.

JL...............
    Last edited by JoeLee; 07-11-2019 at 11:05 PM.

I've had one of those for years.... Does not have, and as far as I know never has had, any lever. I have another indicator mount as well, also a straight magnet, and no lever or other system for it, either. Both work, as does the indicator I have with a magnet on the backplate to hold it in place.

I'm not sure what you are suggesting is "deceptive", or just what the "problem" is.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

By deceptive I mean the add and vague description leads one to believe that the lever turns the magnet on and off. It doesn't say that it's basically a pry bar.
    Even their staff couldn't explain to me how it worked.

JL.............

what.

They're available with or without the lever. I have one of each and yeah the lever is handy for my RA fingers but neither gets much use. As said above, they're great for holding up charts.

I've used the thumb screws on other projects too.

I have one with a cheap universal arm and acrylic chip guard I made, it holds on to the cast iron lathe a little weaker than it holds steel so it works well for that. Helps keep hot steel chips off my hand when feeding the carriage. Before I had a DRO I used it with a digital dial indicator on the lathe bed for Z axis movements. Its not as easy as a switching magnet but its a much better shape and shorter for many uses.

That pry-bar feature does sound useful and they aren't lying. If it was a switching magnet they'd be darn sure to let you know.

I have one used for 30 years in 3 different shops plus my own . have never had a problem with it . I do have another base with a button in the middle that urns the magnet on and off.

but then again some people can break an anvil.

Not exactly related, but....
    I always appreciate when someone gives a review of a tool
    that has some difficult to measure property, and gives a
    testament as to how effective it functions.
    Magnets are difficult to quantify how strong they are or how
    well they attract. I have seen some magnetic products claim
    so many pounds of attractive force. Not sure how accurate the
    claims are. Stating gauss in whatever units is something even
    less well known. So reviewing magnetic indicator holders as
    to how strong they are is a good thing. I would like to see
    more posts like that.
    -
    -Doozer
    DZER

Just like the Tiny Titan magnetic stands.
    The one's from Enco and Luffkin are really strong,
    because they use both N and S poles of the magent
    to contact the part. Brown & Sharpe also sold the
    Tiny Titian line of magnets, only they have the poles
    oriented so only one pole attracts the part.
    These are weak as a geek by comparison.
    They all use some .218" dia gauge rods, which match
    nothing that I have in my indicator collection of stuff,
    so that's annoying, but that is an easy fix.
    So this is what I mean by a review.
    Hopefully this helps somebody.

-Doozer
    DZER

I think "Tiny Titan" may be the other I have of the ones with no lever to turn off the magnet.

Of the ones with no lever, I generally use only the one on the back of the indicator, the others work, but unless one with the "switch" does not fit, I use one with a "switch".

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan