Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mighty Mag, Deceptive Advertising Or What

Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    Not exactly related, but....
    I always appreciate when someone gives a review of a tool
    that has some difficult to measure property, and gives a
    testament as to how effective it functions.
    Magnets are difficult to quantify how strong they are or how
    well they attract. I have seen some magnetic products claim
    so many pounds of attractive force. Not sure how accurate the
    claims are. Stating gauss in whatever units is something even
    less well known. So reviewing magnetic indicator holders as
    to how strong they are is a good thing. I would like to see
    more posts like that.
    -
    -Doozer
    The strength of the magnet is fine. It's just that I was under the impression that the lever turned the magnet on and off. They gave no detail that it was used as a "pry bar" so to speak to pop one side off what ever it was stuck to. Here is what their web site shows. https://www.westhoffinc.com/measurin...on/mighty-mag/

They don't even show a picture of the one with the lever. I just went of of the few pics I found floating around the web and assumed that is how it worked.
    The lady I spoke to couldn't even tell me how it worked.

I do have a couple Starrett magnetic bases but I wanted something more compact and direct mount to a dial.

JL................

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen View Post
    As said above, they're great for holding up charts.
    Ha Ha… a buddy of mine is developing a product that uses small rare earth magnets pressed into an aluminum block. I don't know if he got the idea or not from something I do where I press small rare earth magnets into aluminum molds to hold hardware in place until the mold is closed and to keep it from falling out of place during casting/injection. Anyway, during his efficiency in manufacturing testing he ordered magnets from various sources and found he basically got the "same" magnet in two different sizes a few thousandths apart in diameter. He searched out and found tools that made a perfect hole for each one, and of course pressed a lot of magnets into little aluminum blocks for testing purposes. Now when I visit his shop I see things held up by little aluminum blocks all over the place.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Sorry for sort of jumping on the "snarky" side for a moment. For an additional $2 over the cost of the regular one I'm not really sure what you were expecting. And it does say "quick release" and not "switchable magnet". If it were only $2 more for a switchable version why would they bother with a non-switchable version in the first place? So to me right there I'd be thinking that it's something pretty simple.

To be fair to you though they really should point out what the cam lever is really doing and show a picture of it. But mostly I see it as a case of lack of information rather than an attempt at being deceptive.

I have a Mighty Mag that has been around my shop for years, but never used because of the previous mentioned faults. I thought about offering it to anyone that would pay the shipping, but didn't think it is worth that expense. The Tiny Titans on the other hand, are a good tool. Very handy in tight spots. Just my two cents worth.

Sarge41

I actually use a mighty mag. I bought it during a 25% off Enco sale (RIP!). It always has the same setup ready to use - a short piece of drill rod, with an aluminum clamp a few inches long that I made to hold an inexpensive dial indicator. It has a couple of knobs to adjust the clamping and position. I am able to remove it from surfaces by using the rod to tip it.

With Noga knock offs selling for $16 shipped, you are right to ask 'why bother'. The small form factor is handy, and it is fairly rigid. It was a decent shop project. I think I did differential threads on the clamps.

The key advantage for a Mighty Mag would be the form factor if used as a permanent base for an indicator or other device. It's rather short, narrow and a bit long. And for some things that's a good shape to have. On the other hand as you say with the Noga knockoffs at 2/3's the price it's hard to go out of one's way to get one or two of them.

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    I think "Tiny Titan" may be the other I have of the ones with no lever to turn off the magnet.

Of the ones with no lever, I generally use only the one on the back of the indicator, the others work, but unless one with the "switch" does not fit, I use one with a "switch".
    Here is the Tiny Titan one. It's the same exact thing as the Might Mag only without the name on it. I'm sure it's made by the same company. Ha, Ha.......

http://www.ezmachinetools.com/4_Magn...p/625-0450.htm

JL.............

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    Sorry for sort of jumping on the "snarky" side for a moment. For an additional $2 over the cost of the regular one I'm not really sure what you were expecting. And it does say "quick release" and not "switchable magnet". If it were only $2 more for a switchable version why would they bother with a non-switchable version in the first place? So to me right there I'd be thinking that it's something pretty simple.

To be fair to you though they really should point out what the cam lever is really doing and show a picture of it. But mostly I see it as a case of lack of information rather than an attempt at being deceptive.
    Honestly I never paid any attention to the difference in cost vs what I would be getting. I've seen stranger things.
    Quick release in my mind was push a button or throw a lever.

JL..............

Expectations being the source of all disappointment ,,,,,, this thread reminds me of as much.

No real issues, just expectations unfulfilled. And for $2 ;-)

But...

I like the mighty mags and have three of them with mounted DTIs.
    I even took the time to put them on the mill and "square them up" to better secure and register the indicators.

I use them frequently on the lathe to confirm cross feed position . Having a magnetic base gives considerable protection against over travel crashes. The magnet just slides along, Their low profile means they fit and remain solid during many differing applications.

I've never experienced difficulty getting the base off the machine surface. Perhaps I have strong fingers.

I had no expecttions. and still do not. Mine was free, came in a box o stuff that was well paid for by the rest of the contents, at a considerable discount. So the few times I used mine, if it worked at all, it was worth the price.

NO, I would never buy one..... it does not really offer anything I have to have, and what it does I used to, and still do, accomplish differently.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan