Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bending a Scaffold Pole

I would try heat straightening with a oxy fuel torch before welding. More controllable and don't need to clean up after.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
    I am doubtful that prebending will give the result you desire. I think the pipe will need to be stiffened by putting something inside it.
    Why do think this? In buildings, the beams are very often precambered upwards so that as the dead and live loads are applied, the precamber drops out and they become level.

Even if stiffened, the pipe will still deflect, just less than an unstiffened one.

His idea is the correct one, to precamber the member so that when the working load is applied, it becomes straight.

Don't weld, or apply heat to a galvanized pole - not because of the zinc fumes (although that is a concern), but because you don't want to compromise the coating. Find a tree with a V shaped crotch and put the pole in the V and bend away. Doing it manually like this helps you control the amount of bend and where the bend is. You can make a series of small adjustments until you get the deflection you desire.

Quote Originally Posted by djc View Post
    Why do think this?
    The difficulty of getting the exact prebend.