Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting ready for the big move

Maybe it's a trait shared by both machinists and coders

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Do you have a johnson bar and machinery skates, too?
    I find that wooden wedges are useful too

Quote Originally Posted by Peter. View Post
    Nucular isn't a word (yet), but might soon be due to it's regular mis-use in lieu of the correct word, nuclear.
    Yes. And all the more quickly now that we have the internet, which lets ignorance spread like wildfire!

Get one of these nets for each piece of machinery. Also get yourself some high-performance stretch wrap. The nets help minimize the wind-wiping of the tarps you put over the equipment as you drive. The wiping of the tarps can tear them apart quite easily. I would first wrap the equipment tightly (and thoroughly) in plastic stretch wrap, then cover with a tarp, then put the net over them.

I have stretch wrap, stretchy coord, tarps that will have the stretch wrap over it to prevent their self destruction, and a bunch of 4x4 cutoffs that I will use as wedges. No prybars or skates, they are using a telehandler to lift the machines onto my pallets. At home I have a gantry crane and pallet truck. Preparing for unknowns has already cost as much as the surface grinder. At least next time I do this it will be much easier and cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    Maybe it's a trait shared by both machinists and coders

This is known in office lingo as "Resting Bitchy Face". When you are just in normal mode, that's what you look like. Machinists look like that at work because of all the BS they have to put up with from upper management. In the office, it's usually the look on the cute secretary you wanted to ask out.

Since you have your trailer on hand measure and cut a couple of 2x's to span the width of the trailer inside. Once you have the machine/pallet loaded lag the 2x's to the top of the pallet so they span the trailer and prevent any side movement. Another way is to just drop cribbing between the side of the pallet and the trailer side. Keeping the bottom of the skid/machine from moving in the trailer is just as important as strapping the top to prevent tipping.

lg
    no neat sig line

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    Oh yeh, also bought a pallet jack. Unloading it from the van, the handle clobbered me pretty good in the head. .... Can't wait for all the unknowns to no longer be unknowns. That's what really sucks about doing this.
    Bummer about the head strike. It seems like I would be ahead a bit if I wore a light bike helmet while rigging machines.. seriously (arguably the standard is a hardhat, but a bike helmet is lighter and cooler). Especially once you have the machine straps attached, and are duckwalking around the machine, wrapping, ducking under, etc.. There are just chances for conks on the head. Wear a hat for sure, to take the sting out of any hits and reduce the risk of cuts - if you aren't already wearing one for the sun and sweat. Maybe also a towel to cover the seat of your vehicle.

Maybe add some knee pads to the kit. You're probably going to be on your knees a fair bit, and if that isn't bad enough, imagine the diamond plate. Of course there are also the vast number of trip hazzards when rigging, a reason to wear good boots. They are essential to reduce the risk of ankle sprains, etc.

Your trailer is going to be pretty crowded. I'd probably do some approximate to scale sketches on how to route the straps. And as you already mentioned, confirm the anchors have room.

Another thought, since you're hauling two items and that is a much greater rigging challenge.. Don't forget about potentially using dunnage on the floor of the trailer. That'd be 2x4's or whatever arranged to prevent pallets from sliding on the deck. That might be spacers between your pallets, or between the pallets and the walls. Not essential, but something to consider. I suppose the SG pallet might even butt against the M pallet.

Have you done any sketches to estimate the load balance and tongue weight? If they were forking it on to the trailer from the end, it would normally go on the trailer tailstock first. That just might work out with the 1000 lbs of grinder up front.

It's a good thing you'll have a pickup for hauling extra stuff - with the requisite tarps to protect from rain. Machine covers, grinder table, misc totes of tools, padding to protect the monarch access covers (which are typically pretty filthy on the inside).. Then there is the security factor for tools and stuff when you make any stops or leave it unattended. That was a big concern when I did the solo Pacemaker pickup in a really bad area, with a 26' open flat bed and a tiny cab.

Checklist so far...
    Cordless Drill
    Cordless Tigersaw
    Wood screws
    Bits for screws
    Socket wrenches
    Crescent wrenches
    Drill bits for bolts/lag screws
    Assortment of bolts/washers/nuts/lag screws
    Utility knife
    Tape
    Stretch coord
    Stretch wrap(big roll and small roller)
    Tarps
    Slings
    Pallet jack
    Engine hoist
    Load leveler??
    Paperwork
    Cell phone/charger
    WD40
    Anti rust spray
    Apron
    Drill charger/inverter.
    Scrap wood

Anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by larry_g View Post
    Since you have your trailer on hand measure and cut a couple of 2x's to span the width of the trailer inside. Once you have the machine/pallet loaded lag the 2x's to the top of the pallet so they span the trailer and prevent any side movement. Another way is to just drop cribbing between the side of the pallet and the trailer side. Keeping the bottom of the skid/machine from moving in the trailer is just as important as strapping the top to prevent tipping.

lg
    no neat sig line
    Ooohh, I definitely like that idea, going to buy some 2x4's