Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting ready for the big move

Quote Originally Posted by larry_g View Post
    Keeping the bottom of the skid/machine from moving in the trailer is just as important as strapping the top to prevent tipping.
    That's a good point. Ideally the straps don't merely go over the load. They will be looped around the bed crossmembers and then both ends of the strap will go back to the same trailer anchor. That ends up using two straps where some would use only one. But sometimes with the 10ee you end up looping the straps over the base. This narrow trailer should result in narrow strap angles and good stability.

The ELSR rod on the round dial 10ee is very high up in relation to the bed. I am concerned it might create clearance problems for straps over the bed. The trailer is narrow, so maybe the straps can go under the rod. Removing the rod may be very difficult (involving tapered pins, etc). Also, I see the ELSR rod handle sticks out in a way that will catch on the covering. It looks like that can be easily loosened and rotated out of the way.

I don't even know what the ELSR thing is, is it a desirable option? Electronic leadscrew Reverse? Is it for doing threading?
    Some pics of the trailer. It's 6x10, but that is being optimistic. It's 10ft at the very end of the tapered ramp which means I need to bring some wood wedges to screw into the pallet for support. Also, it's 6ft wide not including the anchors which reduce it to 67 inches about. Good thing I made the surface grinder pallet 3x3'. Won't bring the pallet truck as they have one, but must bring the hoist(it folds up) to lift the SG table off.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Also looks like the wheels cover 90% of the bed, so load balancing is probably not a concern, the pickup and trailer are a class 4, 1000lb tongue weight rating.

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    Checklist so far...
    Cordless Drill
    Cordless Tigersaw
    Wood screws
    Bits for screws
    Socket wrenches
    Crescent wrenches
    Drill bits for bolts/lag screws
    Assortment of bolts/washers/nuts/lag screws
    Utility knife
    Tape
    Stretch coord
    Stretch wrap(big roll and small roller)
    Tarps
    Slings
    Pallet jack
    Engine hoist
    Load leveler??
    Paperwork
    Cell phone/charger
    WD40
    Anti rust spray
    Apron
    Drill charger/inverter.
    Scrap wood

Anything else?

I'm sticking with hire (reputable) insured, experienced, equipped, beefy rigger when moving equipment you or 2 guys can't pick up & carry...GAF what anyone says.
    Len

When I moved my mill, I bolted it to a pallet, (off its stand) then loaded pallet/mill as one unit.
    I had the dimensions prior, so I scrounged some small pallet to act like cribbing to keep the mill's pallet from moving around in the truck.
    the mill's metal stand made up part of the cribbing.
    It's not a bridgeport, its a 6x26 knee.
    It turned out to be a nasty rainy day for the move, and I stripped handles, vise, light, collet holder, etc., off the machine, wrapped it in plastic, then wrapped with the roll shrink wrap like you got above.
    It rode just fine, and didnt get wet.

Yeah, you'll be ok with that pickup and trailer and all the prep.... just hope and pray the people with forklifts and telehandler know what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    I don't even know what the ELSR thing is, is it a desirable option? Electronic leadscrew Reverse? Is it for doing threading?
    It is a great option. I'm not sure of the functions on the round dial machines (and some machines had extra options). it is that upper most rod. You can position the stop collars on it and they will trip the feed to stop. I believe you'll be able to flip the attached handle and reverse the feed, while the spindle continues.

Their pallet jack is probably fine. Gotta watch out for clunkers.

I wonder, could they use the telematic to lift the table off and set it in the truck? I've never driven one of those but my impression is that the hydraulics can be quite abrupt - not like a nice fork truck.

Be sure it isn't a situation where the lathe needs to be hoisted and they only have chain or a tiny noodle strap. To balance the 10ee for lifting it is often necessary to put a piece of wood under the bed for looping the sling because the crossmember lift point cannot be balanced. I have learned the hard way that depending on "professionals" to do their portion of the rigging correctly is often folly.

You could always take some length off the 10ee skid. I did not see the come-a-long on your list. It's good to have in case you need to move skids around on the trailer, etc.

With that machine that you are gonna go get, you should find that anything you do on a lathe will be a LOT easier. They "just plain work"... Also, it's a 10", but I think they actually swing about 11.5". There is not much nicer than a 10EE, so just use it and don't change anything about it until you have used it a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Am I missing something? The US spells nuclear 'nuclear' (and as far as I know, so does every English speaker). People frequently mispronounce it as nucular, and perhaps try to spell it phonetically.
    Yep, you did not factor in 'murricans..... they have their own "ways and says". Even "W" seemed to always say "nucular", I dunno what the current guy says....
    Last edited by J Tiers; 07-14-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

The only additional advice I have to add is, right before every major step such as lifting, moving or driving off (especially if you are in a hurry), is to STOP and take a moment to re-check and re-think everything. Take a short break, clear your mind a bit, and do a final check to ensure you haven't overlooked something. I consider this the last step, and it can (and eventually will) really save your bacon. Most catastrophic mistakes are caused by minor details overlooked in haste.

Speaking from having rigged and run lifts up to 80 tons... Joel is giving you good advice! Step back,.walk around it, make sure everyone involved knows their job, where to stand, where to run, and what to do if it goes wrong (get out.of the way!). It feels a little silly on small stuff, and not at all silly on big stuff. Good practices save lives!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk