Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Color Red - Outdoors

Default The Color Red - Outdoors

As near as I can tell most paints are out. 10-20 years max, and any UV exposure reduces that dramatically. A north facing wall can help but in a shore side (not salt) environment in Arizona that isn't as much help as it might be elsewhere.

I looked at powder coat, and the best powders start to fade in 20-25 years from what I have read. That's assuming other factors have not harmed them.

Red metals aren't really "red," and they would need to be coated to prevent corrosion. Brass (gold finish) red metal is already being incorporated in the project.

Red anodized aluminum seemed to be an option, but quick checks (not exhaustive) seemed to indicate that organic pigments used in aluminum anodizing will fade. My cursory checks didn't show an inorganic red for aluminum anodizing.

I am prepared (and the person asking is prepared) to leave out the red for these reasons, but I want to make sure I have exhausted my options. No red rust isn't an option. LOL.

I'd like it to look good for the maximum remaining life span of those asking. Maybe as much as 50 years barring further life extension results in medical research.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

You didn't mention what the project is. It could matter.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Some of the modern paints might last that long with a coating of clear lacquer. Red cars seem to keep their brightness much better now compared with those from the eighties and nineties even.
    Fifty years is a long time and testing colour fastness to last that long is by simulating the passage of time by multiplying the conditions such as UV is not failproof.
    I have seen lots of anodising dyes fade badly when exposed to direct sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by loose nut View Post
    You didn't mention what the project is. It could matter.
    I didn't forget. The way things go off and people decide for you how you should be doing it totally different I left the exact nature of the project out on purpose. Paint, powder coat, and anodizing have been considered. That should for most folks determine the scope of the application. If you have a tough weatherproof no fade something that is colored red I'd love to hear about it. Extreme price as well as exposure to the elements, thieves, and vandals is of course is a consideration so rows of inset rubies is probably out, but other options more expensive than those already considered are within the scope of the project.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    I didn't forget. The way things go off and people decide for you how you should be doing it totally different I left the exact nature of the project out on purpose.
    "Why do you think you need a personal fire hydrant?"

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    "Why do you think you need a personal fire hydrant?"
    Hydrants around here are yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    I didn't forget. The way things go off and people decide for you how you should be doing it totally different I left the exact nature of the project out on purpose. Paint, powder coat, and anodizing have been considered. That should for most folks determine the scope of the application. If you have a tough weatherproof no fade something that is colored red I'd love to hear about it. Extreme price as well as exposure to the elements, thieves, and vandals is of course is a consideration so rows of inset rubies is probably out, but other options more expensive than those already considered are within the scope of the project.
    American Heartland Hi-Gloss Classic Red oil based barn and roof paint at Menards.

what about that type of steel that is designed to rust and generate a protective oxide coat? Can't remember the name of it, but I've read about it here or there.

I think most coloured coatings are going to struggle on a 25 year or more time frame, whatever the colour. Different metals and their colours would be the way to go, as it seems you've already started thinking about.

Brass/aluminum or brass/stainless are already a base part of the plan. Those who would like this done have accepted that gold and silver finish may be best long term solution, but I am hoping for a gold/silver/red solution.

You dismissed ruby but what about glass? Check if there are some old stained glass church windows that include red, modern stained glass tends to be painted.
    Perhaps ask a chemist which salts are red, eg mercuric sulphide and lead tetroxide. There must be one that is red and non reactive it is going to stay that way until it gets covered in a layer of dirt.
    Last edited by Baz; 07-13-2019 at 06:40 PM.