Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help fix 4x6 bandsaw "Packard Precision" gear worn out

Default help fix 4x6 bandsaw "Packard Precision" gear worn out

My 4x6 metal cutting bandsaw has failed me, after 40 years of use. I bought it from a low-end tool vendor who went out of business shortly after I bought it from him, for $175 I think. It has been used a lot, not so much in the last 10 years as I got older. The brand name on the label plate is "Packard Precision", Div. of Sterling Packard Corp, Vernon Calif., no model number or serial number on the label. I think it was made in Taiwan, since China had not started exporting material to the US in the 1970's. I found on the internet the company was incorporated in 1977, has since gone out of business. Later products list location as Glendale, California as company location, and Taiwan as country of origin.

The failure is in the bronze gear that turns the driving wheel, the steel worm seems to still be good. The bearings still seem to be OK, but the worm will no longer turn the bronze gear. I have a photo of the bronze gear, I will try to attach it. Dimensions of the gear are: OD: 1.860" (47.24mm), shaft ID .593" (15.46mm), gear thickness .530" (13.46mm), gear thickness including hub 1.040" (26.42mm), 17 teeth.

Does anyone have any data on a similar machine that I could source a part from? Jet is a possibility, I looked up a jet part for a similar machine, it was $100. Too rich for me.

I think I will try Grizzley, they are said to have parts for similar machines.

Steve
    https://imgur.com/a/5N9gWsr

https://imgur.com/0AAY9g1
    https://imgur.com/a/5N9gWsr?
    one of these should work!
    Last edited by Steve Steven; 07-14-2019 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Add photo

Good luck trying to match one old gear to a new one. I'd say chances of finding a perfect match are pretty slim.

You'll probably have better luck buying a matched pair of gears. The link below is to Stock Drive Products listing of
    work gears. Scroll to the bottom of the page. Unfortunately these may be too small for your needs but this might
    get you pointed in the right direction...

https://www.sdp-si.com/products/Gears/Index.php
    Keith

What many guys have done is to order the equivalent part through Grizzly or Jet. The gear you are ordering is bronze and it mates to a steel worm I believe. Anyway, just buy your bad gear. That will fix it.

for the price of the gear you mite just a well go to harbor freight and buy a new saw. I have mine I bought in 82 it has sawed a lot of steel when I was building race cars and trailers. just used it this morning sawing out trailer parts

Serves you right for being cheap and buying a low end product.You get what you pay for.Would Taiwan forty years ago used the metric system.?15 ,46mm is a odd size.Both mine are 15mm. Could you make a new bronze gear,are you set up for it. Its not that hard and there is info on how to go about it in the search section., 17 is also an odd amount of teeth .I thought most have 21 or 22 teeth.

Not worth a hundred bucks ?
    Easy fix, buy a piece of bronze big enough, 20 bucks and up..
    Now get your lathe, dividing head milling machine ready.... don't forget a broach for the keyway, unless you want to do it on the lathe.. it can be done. And a gear cutter, no problem... just whip up a single point tool.... that will work.
    Then let us know how long it takes.,

I have sent a query to Grizzly, should hear back in a few days. I also posted on the Yahoo 4x6 bandsaw site, it does not have much traffic. I tried searching on there with no luck.

Steve

I doubt you'll find one for less than $100. It's bronze for one. Two, It has to be cut to match your worm diameter with clearance. It's not "just a gear". Three, it's probably modular.

^^^ yes, not just a gear...post the diminsions of the mating worm and *maybe* a likely fit can be sourced.

I just bought a matched set of bronze worm gear and steel worm and shaft from Hamilton Brothers Tool Empire in Beaver Falls PA. Telephone number 1-800-783-4766. The price was $57.99 delivered and it worked perfectly in my Northern Tool saw. The parts are identical to my Jet saw and probably all the others as well.

BTW, the bronze gear came pre-mounted on a new shaft.
    CPeter
    Last edited by CPeter; 07-14-2019 at 08:27 PM.