Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: old DeWalt radial arm saw - cut metal with modern carbide blade?

Default old DeWalt radial arm saw - cut metal with modern carbide blade?

My father-in-law is now in his late 80s. He bought a DeWalt RAS in 1960 and has owned it ever since. He's not doing much shop work anymore and probably won't. He asked me if I would put new bearings in the motor since it started making bearing noise. I went up there today and took out the motor and brought it home.

I had not realized how heavily built the old DeWalt saws were. I don't want to use the word "bulletproof" but terms like "well designed" "heavily built" "machined iron castings" seem to apply.

Since he's clearly going to ask me to take the saw away from his shop and do something reasonable with it, I'm wondering if I could get away with using a steel-cutting carbide tooth saw e.g. https://tinyurl.com/y4apwds9.

What do you think? Genius or Darwin award?

metalmagpie

It says it has a 3000 rpm limit, so I guess you need to know the speed of the motor you have.

THANX RICH
    People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Don't radial arm saws cut with a climbing cut? That should be interesting on metal.

Make it convertible to a surface grinder as well

People cut AL on wood saws, can't see it working out with steel....work out the cutting speed at 3000 rpm, yikes.
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 07-17-2019 at 10:02 AM.

I use a Craftsman of that vintage to do aluminum but wouldn't even think of doing any steel on it. There are many blades with 0 rake or even neg rake that can be used on radial saws for non ferrous material.
    ...lew...

A radial arm saw blade has virtually no rake to prevent it from climbing onto the work piece during a cut. If you ever had to fight a RA saw with the wrong blade, you know what I mean. The RA blades for wood are fairly rare nowadays - I doubt that you can find one for steel - plus the speed is too fast for steel.

You'd be crazy. I had one for 25 years and I can testify that Radial Arm saws are nasty under the best of circumstances. You will get hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
    Don't radial arm saws cut with a climbing cut? That should be interesting on metal.
    We had a very contentious discussion of that a couple years ago. Some of us prefer to NOT climb cut, and it is just a matter of which way the saw is moved, anyway. The climb cutters had rafts of reasons why climb cutting wood was safer, and avoided all problems.... but I think everyone came away with the samr opinion they went in with.

AFAIK the speed is 3450RPM, and so too fast for the 3000 RPM blade mentioned in another post, anyhow.

I might cut aluminum, NOT climb cutting, but there is no way I would ever consider climb cutting steel with one. Or just cutting steel with one in any way.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Steel on wood tools? Yes, done that.

Steel on a radial arm saw? They scare me enough, don't need to up the ante.

Last week I picked up 4 FS Tool 14" 100T blades for wood and 2 12" 100T for non ferrous metal they are carbide and were priced right.

The pic shows tooth profile of the 12".