Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do you use a big drill chuck?

Default How often do you use a big drill chuck?

I recently picked up a giant Jacobs 20N drill chuck from a member here, and intend to fit it with an MT4 shank for use on my big 18" swing Spingfield lathe.

Another recent acquisition provided me with an 18N, which needed some derusting, but works great. And of course I already had a 16N for it, and if I bought an MT2-to-MT4 sleeve, I could use the 14N off the drill press. (For those curious, a 14N can hold up to 1/2" shank, a 16N can hold up to a 5/8", an 18N can hold a 3/4", and the 20N can hold up to one inch.)

But this all started making me think: The only real reason I got the 20N was on the rare occasions I've wanted to use an endmill to make a quick counterbore, or use a ball-end mill to make a quick concave feature in something.

Really, since the vast majority of drills I use have a standard 1/2" 'Silver & Deming' shank, even a 14N is more than sufficient. Anything larger than that would likely be a Morse Taper shank anyway.

So, the questions are, do you have a chuck capable of holding over 1/2", and if so, how often do you use it for anything over that number?

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Yes, I do have one. It isn't used often, then mainly in the lathe tailstock to hold an endmill bigger than 1/2" for doing a counterbore. I think I've used it a couple of times in the drill press holding the shank of a hand reamer bigger than 1/2". Not often, but invaluable when you do need it.
    'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

The 1/2 inch chuck is quite adequate for me, I will use a blacksmith drill up to 1 inch, think reduced shank drills.
    Anything over an 1 inch drill, I then get into it with a boring bar, much easier on the lathe doing it with a boring bar than a 2 inch drill.
    The lathe I got at home is not over endowed with huge HP, so I tend to be a bit kinder to it, than the big bugger of a lathe I get to use at work.

I have 2 Jacobs 1" chucks.
    One a ball bearing in new condition and one plain bearing that has seen some wear.
    I use the more accurate chuck for gripping reamers mostly, because I have Morse
    taper drills to the 1-1/2" range. My worn chuck I use for taps, because if a tap
    spins, the chuck has seen some spinning in it's life before, and no big deal tearing
    it up a little more. But between the 2 of them, yes very handy.
    I also recently acquired a Union-New Brittian 1" keyless chuck, kinda like an Albrecht.
    It is in nice shape, just need to grind up an arbor for it. Not so often you see a
    keyless chuck that big.

--Doozer
    DZER

I have a couple of larger than 1/2" chucks somewhere that I picked up thinking that since the price was right I ought to have them. Never used. Anything that I can't use the 1/2" chucks for or morse taper shank drills I use a boring bar.

I have a Jacobs 20N that I mounted on an R8. I think I used it once. My 14N is what I use almost all the time on my mill.
    I also have a 16N which is on my Lathe tail stock because it takes up to 5/8".
    Also have an 11N on a 5/8" straight shank and an 8 1/2N on a 1/2" straight shank.

JL...........

I rarely need to drill anything larger than 1/2" but I do have a few larger bits with MT2 shanks and a cheap set of reduced shank drills for up to an inch. After that I use a boring bar except for one job I did for a friend where he bought a reduced shank 1 1/2" bit to make holes in a pair of big I beams he planned to make a hydraulic press with.

A couple of years back I gifted a friend a quality used but not abused second hand keyless drill chuck that would take up to 5/8" bits and within a few weeks he had to drill a 16mm hole in a part he was making and the 16mm bit just barely fit into the chuck. What a pain it would have been if he didn't have that chuck!

San Diego, Ca *** Please let us know where you are from too.

I think your thinking is right. I rarely use anything more than 1/2" and most of the time when I do
    it has a smaller shank. But just having it there is a nice guarantee your covered.
    John Titor, when are you.

I use my 3/4" 18N chucks fairly often. Sometimes for large screw machine drills where I don't have room for tpaer shank drill bits, other times for large chamfers or other large cutters. I have a couple of them. One is on my lathe and one is on my drill press.

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

I have a 16N and an 18N for the 16" lathe at work, but given the choice I prefer to use MT shank drills for anything over 1/2". Problem is, they don't have any MT shank drills, hence I have the chucks.